Why is notification center so vague, e.g., "Event" vs. "Class"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by swingerofbirch, Jun 19, 2014.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I am late to the game, just got an iPhone 5S which obviously has iOS 7 and is my first time using it. I also have a 4th generation iPod touch, so not new to iOS by any means.

I love the iPhone, love iOS 7, but why is the Notification Center so vague?

For example, under Tomorrow it says, "Your calendar is clear in the morning. There is one event scheduled for 5 PM."

I get the natural language part of it (though I would prefer it just say 5 PM Event), but why doesn't it say the name of the event, as it is named in my calendar?

I also noticed that my Calendar view at the top always seems to be empty whether I have events or not—maybe it only shows things when it's very close to their time, not sure. I don't see that I have an "event" tomorrow until I scroll to the bottom and look under tomorrow. If that's my next event, why not put it under Calendar at the top of the Notification Center?

Having said that I love the iPhone and iOS 7. This is the only so far that doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

The whole today and tomorrow preview are somewhat vague in general. For some reason just how Apple designed them. I even went as far as turning them off and simply using the Calendar section that is there in the Today section (and to look ahead to tomorrow or any other days I just end up going to the Calendar app).

You can change how the events appear in the Calendar section there by going to the Calendar app and selecting the list view for the today view instead of a timeline. That will at least show all the events for today at once as a list rather than as a timeline that only shows something coming up in the next few hours.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Thanks. That second part about changing to list view in Calendar to get it to show it that way in the NC was really helpful. I don't have any events until Monday, so I'll see how it works then, but it looks like it won't show hour by hour, which I think is what it was doing before.

This is definitely the most confusing part of iOS 7 to me. I had been trying to figure out how to change the settings under the settings for Notification Center. Never would have occurred to me that the Calendar app affects Notification Center's display of calendar events.

Thanks!