Why is OS X better?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by karohan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

I am not here to start a flame war or anything, but considering this is a Mac Forum, I was just wondering why do people who use OS X, rely on OS X, and prefer OS X think its better than the Windows (or Linux) equivalent. Is it just because you are used to it? Are there better applications available for OS X (besides final cut pro) and/or do they run faster?
    Also why do creative professionals currently prefer OS X because I've seen in various sites that Adobe's Creative Suites run faster on Windows (this may not be OS X's fault, but it still exists).

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

Ease of use, phenomenal presentation, powerful tools for experienced end user, stability, etc etc etc.

Reasons why I made the 'switch'. ;)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

We're all really just big cat lovers.

I'm bolting after OSX. I heard rumors they're going to bears for codenames next.

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Who said it was better. It's just our choice here on MacRumors. We prefer it because it's reliable and easy to use.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

and fast, both as an os, but also eases workflow.

8. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is most of the threads available online don't really have any substantiated claims about which one is better. They're just subjective opinions. The ones that actually bring up good points are three or four years old and don't really consider Windows 7 or newer linux operating systems. I can understand why someone would use OS X over linux because of the availability of certain applications.
    However, besides security and stability (which I don't really think is an issue anymore in Windows 7, or at least I haven't had any), are there any other advantages in OS X. I keep hearing that it "multitasks" better. Is this true? Is it because its better optimized for handling multiple cores? It's just interesting that Photoshop and a lot of Adobe software run faster on Windows and people continue to use OS X.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

The new iTunes icon swayed me to switch to mac :p

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nothing wrong with subjective opinion
    I like the OSX experience better... seamless integration of everything

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you even click the link I posted?
    ScreenCap 4.PNG

12. TJones macrumors regular

For me it can't get any clearer than this:

[​IMG]

Vs.

[​IMG]

13. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, I did.

Gizmodo: This one was a pre-release comparison with just a basic differentiation of features. But it wasn't really a comparison of which may have performed better or worked better in different areas.

Lifehacker: This wasn't super comprehensive. Just a comparison of basic features. It's okay, but not what I'm looking for. Once again, no comparison of which OS would perform better or work better to do certain tasks (such as multimedia creation, etc.)

LaptopMag: Any sort of comparison between the OS's in this one only looked at the out of the box states. That's not totally fair because most serious multimedia artists won't use iMovie, for example, or business pro's won't be using WordPad.

Cnet: This is a blog entry that doesn't talk about anything.

The Onion: In case you are unaware, the Onion is a satire site. This can't be taken seriously.

PC World: Similar to the Gizmodo article, only pre-release comparisons.

Phoronix: This compares the graphics performance between the three OS's. Which is great. However, OS X comes out at the bottom, which makes me curious as to why creative professionals continue to prefer it.

UI Challenge: Yes, I think the UI is important in any OS. But I think both are close enough, where it doesn't make either better or worse.

While it may seem like I'm out to bash OS X here, I am not. I really do enjoy using the operating system and I do love my mac. But certain benchmarks between Windows and OS X seem to heavily favor Windows for things that are considered a Mac's strong point (e.g. multimedia creation). So I sort of wanted to know if there was more to preferring OS X in objective terms.

14. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

I know it's a cliche, but I switched to Mac because it just worked. I bought a Canon digital camcorder. The Windows-based editing software that shipped with the camera never seemed to work. It would never recognize the camera. My son plugged the camera into our Mac mini and within minutes my son had made a movie. Like I said, it just works.

OS X does not use a complicated and unnecessary registry. Run a registry cleaning application on a windows machine and clean the registry. Reboot and run the reg clean application again. Take note of how many registry errors Windows introduces simply by rebooting. Admittedly, W7 is better in this regard but Vista could introduce 25 to 50 registry errors - SIMPLY BY REBOOTING. Applications have to include unistalling programs to help ensure all of the bits and pieces are removed (and even they don't work all that well). Registry errors are one of the main reasons for system slowdowns on a Windows machine IMHO.

On the other hand, you can simply drag an application to the trash in OS X. Sure, the application may leave a small preference file but nothing that will muck up your system.

There are probably a number of other technical reasons OS X is better, like natively running 32-bit applications while Windows 7 X64 runs 32-bit apps in emulation mode. I'm sure there are many more reasons.

~regards

15. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

What you're missing is that most people don't care about faster pc's. They care about ease of use. It just needs to work. With apple, this is true.

Windows is less built to be easy. It's more built to be faster and to work on all supported hardware.

With mac you don't have to think about a virus scanner. Once you know one program, you know them all. You don't need to install drivers, updates to drivers, plugins etc to make sure your sound/video works. When you want to know whats in a file, you just press the space bar. You don't need to launch any program.

Mac OS X is more thought through, it requires me to think less. Altough I know my way pretty well with windows, it's just less smooth.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I use OSX at home because I have a Mac.

At work, I use Windows. It's frustrating. Every thing is slow. I have a list of items to be fixed, but the IT guy either can't or won't fix them.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, really? GGJstudios's link returned 72.5 million hits. Do you really want us to believe that you examined all of them and did not find what you are looking for in any of them? If this is the case, then what makes you think that anyone here will post the answer that eluded those previous 72.5 million writers?

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think the OP only looked at the ones I circled. I circled them as an example, showing there are many current sources that address Snow Leopard and Windows 7, not just outdated versions and old articles. I didn't intend that the OP only look at the circled ones, but to realize that using Google will give them plenty of search results to read. Apparently, the OP isn't willing to to actual research, but is under the mistaken impression that a discussion in this forum is the ultimate source of information on this topic.

19. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I figure it is a lot more time efficient to ask a forum of Mac users for their input than to sort through 72.5 million results from Google. Wouldn't you agree? Especially when I've already spent a decent amount of time looking through pages of results that didn't really answer my question? I have checked more results than the ones you circled but for me to give you a synopsis of why they don't help me for each of the ones I checked would be extremely cumbersome. But I just explained to you why the sample size of the results you showed me wasn't helpful. So yes, the "OP" is willing to actually do research but came to this forum because his research either did not help him or shined a little negatively on Mac and was curious to see Mac users' opinions on it.

Also MisterMe, what you are failing to realize is that while 72.5 million results were found, those results were the function of the search parameters. My questions are a lot more specific than a simple "windows 7 vs snow leopard" or related search. Such a level of particularity can be better expressed through a forum post where individual users can answer specifically in response to that question. Think about this way. Say you have a question about this math problem in a textbook. You're going step by step, but something is going wrong. There probably exists thousands of books and articles about the corresponding math concept, but if the issue lies in the step by the step process (e.g. a careless mistake, incorrect assumption, etc.), you'd be better off asking your professor, a friend, or someone that can give you a particular response to your particular problem.

What are some of my particular questions here?
    1. What applications besides Final Cut Pro are available for OS X but not for Windows that bolster productivity or creative development.
    2. Some popularly used multimedia creation programs, such as Adobe's Creative Suites, are found to run slower on OS X, but OS X is considered a designer's operating system. Why? (I have heard that Photoshop for example just "runs" or "functions" better on OS X, is this true?)
    3. Is it preferred because you are more used to the OS (since it was initially the first to incorporate graphic development programs and multimedia creation applications)?

So yes, I did my own research. And yes, I came to this forum because I was hoping it would give me more easily accessible answers to a question that wasn't well answered on the internet. And yes, these particular questions were mentioned in my original post.

20. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

That's pretty funny and I gotta agree, it's really cool. Much more awesome than the intro I got when I opened up my previous HP. However call me a cynic, but I noticed that the resolution/quality was a little subpar on my HR Macbook Pro. But I'm not complaining ;-)

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. I cannot agree with you less. Numerous people have asked this question numerous times before you did. There is nothing new to be added to it. You are clearly too "busy" to read the previous posts. I have no reason to believe that you won't be too "busy" to read the subsequent posts.

22. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

You want my honest opinion?

There is no better. Ever. Only the proper tool for the proper job. Some people prefer Win, some Mac, and some Linux. They all work well, and they all get the job done well. Some are better than others for specific tasks but in this day and age they're all pretty much equal.

It all comes down to a matter of preference.

If you were looking to pick OSX over Win7 or Linux however, you'll undoubtedly find a whole array of opinions against that, more-so than the other two, since it seems that there's a general trend of extremism surrounding some people's tool choice.

Some of the general "complaints" read on the Internet are by people who aren't very computer literate, and simply don't know the truth, and would rather espouse idealistic and falsified "truths" about the OS than learning more about it.

To be honest, you can do just about anything on OSX that you can do in Win7, only the methods are different. Desktop customization is quite possible. Enhanced options, command line functions, back-door fiddling; all possible. The OS is there, you can always run in root and modify it, or use sudo, or just replace files.

In general, I find OSX to be far more simplistic (but not lacking features if you know where to find them), streamlined, and easier to use than Win7, with a perceived speed increase in day to day use under OSX over Win7 with similar hardware.

That said, hardware is where it's going to get you. Win boxes always have better hardware, and also have a lot more cutting edge support for such. Driver updates are common, and while not always stable, will provide large performance increases. Gaming under Win is far better than OSX. Graphics cards perform better, and hardware can be tweaked (ie over clocking) via the BIOS. There's generally a larger gap in customization in this sense, as OSX is very hardware locked in, whereas Win supports complete hardware customization and frequent upgrades.

If having the cutting edge isn't important to you, at least in terms of hardware, then I'd recommend OSX. In my opinion their OS is far ahead of Win7, still, but remember, with each pro comes its con, which is why they're all about the same. If OSX were to get better graphics drivers, frequent updates, and be more supportive of over-clocking and DIY installs then I would hands down recommend it, but since this isn't the case I would say its really your pick, since there is no "best."

23. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

You realize you just suggested for me to look through 72.5 million posts instead of looking at a centralized thread consisting of maybe 20-50 posts? You have no reason to believe that I won't be too busy to read these subsequent posts? That makes a whole lot of sense considering that I am responding to posts on this thread rather regularly...

I appreciate your response darkplanets. Personally, I am a linux guy, but I could not continue with that because I need applications that aren't available for it. I love OS X's UNIX backing and prefer it to Windows for sure, but I don't like how locked down it is (then again maybe I was spoiled with linux's level of customization). Yeah I guess it makes it more stable, but stability has never been an issue for me on any operating system. I don't really care about the cutting edge, as long as my productivity and user experience isn't worse in comparison.

24. snberk103 macrumors 603

And that is the whole point. One is not "better" than the other. They are both very good. Different people will find that different OSes will suit their work habits better, or not. Choose the OS that suits you best. It may be OS X, or it may not. Just like some people like red, and other people like green. One is not "better". However, one colour works better when you want people to stop, and the other when you want people to go.

I use OS X because I got tired of fiddling with my computer. I turn it on. I read. I work. I create. I turn it off. Fiddling used to be fun, now I get my jollies doing other things. Perhaps the 'fiddle gap' is not as great as it used to be.... I don't know and I don't care. OS X works for me and I have no reason to try another OS. Boring.... but that's just the way it is for me.