Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Re: Re: OS X is a bad idea if you need to get work done

Originally posted by favedave
I sure hope so! But my point is that it should never have taken so many steps backwards in the first place.

do you normally work with a CD inserted? that can make the system hang since it has to wake the CD up and treat it as a volume. anyway OSX is fine with me and i work in a fast passed deadline orientated field, the advertising industry. i would much rather work in osx than 9. just my two cents. so you can see that its your perpective that osx has taken steps backwards...not mine. so for you to come here screaming that we should see things your way as truth will only get you into arguments. the thing that i really shook my head at was your statement that the ones that dont complain about osx are repressing the truth. your perspective isnt the ultimate reality. its your reality. in mine, osx rocks.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
favedave - So some of the GUI effects make OS X take about half a second more than OS 9. Oh no!:eek: This really only matters if you're using an old G3. What about the exceptionally bad redrawing rate of OS 9, when you see those white squares? That definitely helps a lot with your work, doesn't it? And multitasking is far superior in OS X than in OS 9. OS X is the future. OS 9 is the past.

metrolotus

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2002
From my experience once you start to tweak OS X you start to run into problems,

If you did a lot of tweaking or even a little do the reinstall and see what its response is

Good luck

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by vniow
XP has this feature where you can disable all the menu animations and other unnecessary resource hogging (but nice looking) widgets but the result is one fugly UI, worse than any 9x versions of Windows.

So is this the birth of a new acronym?
ie The Mac GUI verses the Windows FUI? (Should it be Fugly UI or F****ng Ugly Interface?):D

Either way, I like it.

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
600mHz iBook, no excessive spinning beachball, beats the tar out of my 5 year old 350mHz Gateway running WinME. I can't possibly imagine my machine should actually be faster than his. I'm new to Mac and newly registered at MacRumors (although I've been perusing for several weeks) and am perplexed by MacBandit's posts regarding reinstallation. Reinstallation of what? The OS? I thought you didn't need to do this with Macs. Also I see I might not should have "organized" my rambling Applications folder. Also, I often DO leave my iBook on overnight (sleeping and charging) and carry it back and forth to work with me in this state; will I need to use any of those disk utilities I hear about periodically? Sorry if this isn't the place for this post but I'm still learning; I'd be happy to direct it to a different forum. . .

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Reinstalling

Originally posted by phrancpharmD
Reinstallation of what? The OS? I thought you didn't need to do this with Macs.

In the past 4 years, I have owned 3 used Macs, and one new Mac that I bought this year. The only one I ever had to reinstall the OS on was a clone, and it stopped working after 2 weeks anyway. So usually, you don't have to do this on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.