why is outlook express mail different on mac than windows?

matthewcap

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
hi, i run my own business, i usually have my mail through outlook express by microsoft which runs smooth on windows internet explorer, is there any reason why outlook looks and runs differently on mac computers through safari? thanks

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
hi, i run my own business, i usually have my mail through outlook express by microsoft which runs smooth on windows internet explorer, is there any reason why outlook looks and runs differently on mac computers through safari? thanks
The web access of Outlook uses proprietary DOM objects that interact well with IE simply because it's all Microsoft. Firefox translates those DOM objects better than Safari.

You have to realize that even though web browsers use a basic core DOM (Document Object Model) they will all translate differently. The same page which looks good in IE may translate differently in Opera, Safari, Firefox, etc. Outlook Web Access since it's a MS product of course, no brainer, any numb nuts can figure out would look it's best in IE. Other browsers will be a hit or miss. It's not Safari that's not playing nice, it's Microsoft and it's common practice use (since IE 3.01) of it's own versions of the DOM. I've been doing web development for a very long time and this IS ALWAYS the case when dealing with IE.

Between Safari and Firefox, they are closer to the W3C standards than IE (although IE 7 is very close) so how they translate the web access portal is probably more correct even if it looks like crap.