Why is printing from Aperture so difficult?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cave Man, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I just don't get it. I do a 5x7 crop in Aperture, then I choose a 5x7 borderless print and I get 1/4" borders all around the image. I've tried setting the "Scale To:" option to 5x7, Fill Page and Fit Image and all give the 1/4" border. I even have "Border Options: Width" set to zero. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. heron88 macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem before. I dont have a definite answer yet but I'm pretty sure its because the printer cant print to the very edge of the page. Something about ink bleeding... I may be wrong, but I dont think its aperture but rather the printer.

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

If I print borderless from Photoshop CS3 it works just fine. It's something about Aperture.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The only thing I can add is that I do have the same problem as well. Luckily I don't print often, so when I do need to, I just move over to Photoshop which has done a much better job at color matching with my Epson.

I am sure that we may be the ones doing something wrong, but I just get results going through Photoshop every time.

5. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

I found this Apple Tech Note and set the Borderless option for my printer to "Maximum" and save the preset. It printed borderless just fine. Seems the Mac and the printer need to do a better job of talking to one another.

Problem solved. Now on to the next one...

6. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

This is the same problem I had with my HP printer. Somehow, after going through 6 or 7 attempts, I got it to print borderless and was smart enough at the time to save the preset. Really frustrating for sure.