Why is Quicktime buffering?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moobox, Mar 16, 2010.

1. moobox Guest

Hello there.

I have hundreds of videos of various formats on my late 2008 model Macbook Pro. Up until this point I have had no issues playing videos. I recently updated Flip4Mac app and now when I try to open videos in Quicktime they have to buffer, even though they are stored on my Macbook. This doesn't happen for all videos, but the majority of them.

I'm on OSX version 10.5.8, Quicktime version 7.6.4, Flip4Mac version 2.3.1.2

Any clue as to why my saved videos are now buffering?

Edit- This only happens with .wmv files I have come to realize, this never used to be the case.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Could you play .wmv files before you installed Flip4Mac?

QT Player needs the time to buffer to understand the QT unfriendly format called Windows Media Video, thus Flip4Mac has to be employed as link between the .wmv file and the QT framework.

Does the buffering take that long anyway?

You could use VLC Player to play your .wmv files.

3. moobox thread starter Guest

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if I could play .wmv files before installing Flip4Mac. I bought this Macbook in the fall of 2008 and installed Flip4Mac right away. But I would guess that I couldn't play .wmv before installing Flip4Mac, or else I probably wouldn't have installed it.

The buffering does take quite a long time yes, to the point of frustration! From fall 2008 until a couple of weeks ago I could play wmv in Quicktime without buffering, all I did was update Flip4Mac to a newer version and that's when the buffering started.

I am using VLC to play .wmvs now, but I would like to get it back to the way it was, it's a convenience issue; I like to have all of my videos able to be viewed in the same player. Also, quicktime is so clean and nice :).

4. ballen420 macrumors 6502

Anyone know why Quicktime buffers .WMV files now?

It never used to happen before I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and I believe I upgraded Flip4Mac around the same time, so I'm not sure what is causing the buffer. I'm curious if it's the free version of Flip4Mac, or if this is just something new in Quicktime X.