Why is Redo Command+Shift+Z

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rs7, Apr 28, 2009.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

Why is redo command+shift+z and not command+x? I find this very annoying. When working with a pages document, if I want to redo a few changes, you have to be super careful to hit all 3 keys at the same time or it will type a "z". If this happens then you lose all the stuff you were trying to redo! :( Even being careful sometimes still doesn't allow it to work right. Any way to change the redo button?

Thanks

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Because Cut is cmd-x, and these shortcuts are similar on Mac OS and Windows (just ctrl instead of cmd). I don't know about shift-ctrl-z to undo an undo, but as I type it doesn't work in IE 7. Also, it's pretty much been this way for 10+ years. :p

This is one of the 'essentials' that can't be changed in the Keyboard Shortcuts in the System Prefs, but maybe there is an application out there that could help. I personally have no idea.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You may be able to remap your shortcuts to suit your needs with a hack
    But command+X = cut
    Not sure you want to change that... pretty standard

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can change most apps on a case-by-case basis using the keyboard customizations in System Preferences.

In any event, redo in most Mac apps is either Cmd-Shift-Z (because it's the opposite effect of Cmd-Z, which is undo -- many keyboard shortcuts follow this logic of being negated by a shift, e.g. the undo close tab command in Firefox) or it's Cmd-Y (because Y is the character before Z in the alphabet). These are both analogous to Windows, where it is typically Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-Shift-Z or Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-Y.

In what operating system is it [Any modifier key]-x? Across Windows, OS X, KDE and Gnome Linux, and a few Unix distributions, I can't recall having seen that. But if you want to change it, change it. Instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2490#l4

EDIT: Are you guys sure it can't be changed this way? I think the reason it doesn't show up in the list is that it isn't system wide (as mentioned, some OS X apps use Cmd-Y).

EDIT2: Also, you don't have to press all three keys together. Press Cmd and hold it, then press Shift, and hold it, and then press Z. No more mistakes. This is how the rest of the universe does command keys. If you were slamming your fingers on Cmd and Shift and Z at the same time, of course it wouldn't work very often.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The first Windows XP far as I remember, and Mac OS 9 and 10 (I believe 8 too, but that was so long ago for me): cmd/ctrl-x is "Cut". All right there in a nice fashion, Z, X, C, V for undo, cut, copy, and paste.
    I actually just tested it out on a display machine. You can go to the Keyboard Shortcuts and set in All Aplications, CMD-X as "Redo", however it does remove the default shortcut for CUT as cmd-x. So if you just wanted it to work in Pages or whatever, it looks like you should be able to do so(don't have Pages to test it out on this computer).

Find out something new every day! It even displays in the Edit Menu properly once you close out the Sys Prefs. Showing Redo's shortcut, and removing Cuts. Pretty cool. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ctrl-X (and sometimes Ctrl-C) was cut in the MS-DOS era (i.e. long before WinXP)... I meant, when has modifier-x ever been redo?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If my command-X was "redo" then I would be the one that was annoyed!! ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pun intended?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL Must... hit... undo... but only... made... a z. :(

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, Redo seems to vary between programs. It's either Command+Shift+Z or Command+Y.

11. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

Now that I think of it...I have no clue where I got that from. I've only used Windows and OS X before. I guess I thought it was control+x on windows. Now as I think and read your comments I remember it's not. Hmm I donno what I was thinking. Well I went to settings and now redo in pages is control+z :)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahh, good, so you were able to figure out the keyboard shortcut customizations in system preferences? Nicely done. :)