Why is reinstalling Safari such a pain?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Manic Mouse, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I uninstalled Safari in preparation for installing the Safari 3 beta. Little did I know that the OSX version of the Beta needs a previous install of Safari and, not only that, but getting Safari reinstalled is next to impossible.

Why don't they have Safari as an easily accessible download on their site, like iTunes?

2. dcv macrumors G3

There's a Safari 2 download here although it does say 'update'. There are also versions 1.2, 1.3 etc available on the Apple downloads site.

Failing that, have you tried running the 10.4.9 update again? Perhaps that might restore it :confused:

Or you could always try the browsers archive at evolt.org

3. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

See this is what's annoying me, the installers WONT LET ME install Safari because I don't have a previous version. Which I can't get. It's ridiculous, there is no reason why they should build this into the installer except to infuriate people. Added to this is the fact that the windows version can be easily downloaded and installed.

"It just works." Sure Apple, sure.

4. dcv macrumors G3

Hmmm, sorry not at a Mac at the moment so I'm not much help. Did you try re-running the Mac OS X update though? I'd have thought that might "restore" the old version.

Or do you have a backup - can you just drag the application back from there?

5. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I did do the software update, but nadda. I'm not overly concerned since I'm a Camino user. But it's kinda annoying and I would like to try out the Safari 3 beta.

No backup either, I don't use the app and assumed (wrongly) that it would be a simple download to reinstall.

it does replace it with the old one. I had the same problem as mentioned and i used the uninstaller and it replaced the beta with the old one in your applications folder. heh...so much for all that time wasted surfing and searching the reinstall cd's for a way to get back safari.:)

7. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Nope, doesn't work. I don't have ANY form of Safari in my applications folder and there is NO way of getting one as all installers/uninstallers require a previous version of Safari.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You should be able to use something like Pacifist to take it off your OS X install/restore discs. I suppose you don't need anyone to tell you that deleting it was a silly idea in the first place. :)

I was actually really surprised the Safari 3 beta doesn't just come as its own application (no install/uninstall required) much like the Webkit nightly builds do.

9. dcv macrumors G3

If you're already up to date then Software Update won't show anything but you can still re-apply old updates from the downloads pages at apple.com

Or if you still have your Tiger/restore disks you should be able to reinstall 2.0 from there. This article may help.

10. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Yeah, it says that you can install just Safari later in the document but from the sounds of that, they already tried that.

I have an idea. Why dont we just send you the Safari file? It is only 6.5 megs. It should be a quick download! Just drop it in the apps folder and your all set!

I dont have an easy way of getting it to you though. IM me (AOL: andrewcefalo) and I can send it to you. Otherwise maybe someone can put their copy on the net and provide a link here.

Question for everyone here: Does the package have private info in it? Or does the package only contain app info?

11. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Thanks for all the help guys. I don't think uninstalling it was silly, because it doesn't say anywhere in the Safari 3 beta that you need a previous version of Safari to install it. I just assumed it would be a download and install like any other app.

And is there any reason why Apple don't simply have Safari up as a download on their site?

@darwen

I don't have AOL but it'll PM you my email if you don't mind sending me it. Thanks a lot for your help.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well safari is considered built into the system. so they don't think you're going to delete it. and you can't download Safari 2.x because its a tiger only release.

i took a look at the installer/download before going ahead with it. as i usually do with any programs.

i'd use pacifist to get it off your install cds though.

13. Manic Mouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I've downloaded pacifist and I'll get it off my install DVD. Thanks for the help guys. Doesn't matter about emailing Safari or anything... :D

14. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i'm not it quite the same situation, but i am looking for a way to download the old safari i've had, i think safari 3 is garbage, and i want to go back... why doesn't apple have a freakin download, that is so overlooked, they should have versions of every app that comes with mac os x, not only online, but in a control panel or software update kind of dialogue box within the os. That way if you have to browsers you can still download it. Wow, i'm not ussually this angry, it just seems like such an obvious thing to do. Am i wrong? am i being to critical?

cheers ya'll

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

There's a 3.0 Beta uninstaller on the 3.0 Beta disk image (dmg) you downloaded from Apple.

I'd assume that'd put 2.x back on.

edit: it does.

looky:

Attached Files:

16. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Wait, so you dont want me to email you Safari?