why is Safari stealing my bookmark folders ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jeanw, Feb 23, 2011.

1. jeanw macrumors member

Dang it ,
    Knoodles and Signal thank you . I made those new folders and subfolders. Just like you all told me./Now they are GONE. This is not the first time my folders just pooofed. I even checked each bookmark folder and I did not accidentally dropped and drag them into other folders. I did that accidentally years ago on Window computers....
    I am ready to tell Safari to hit the road......:(:mad:
    Thank yall
    Jean

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

This is very confusing. It sounds like you are responding to some other thread. Safari does make it easy to accidentally remove folders from the toolbar.
    I can't really understand what you were trying to do in the first place, nor who Knoodle is.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Because you didn't pay the ransom?

Not sure what you're trying to say. Your sentences are very jumbled.

5. jeanw thread starter macrumors member

where are my missing bookmARK folders. And Knoodles and Signal where

are you ??? I got no answer from those above. Just telling me my sentences are jumbled... Or a joke. wiseguy answer.... I do appreciate you Guys. that are really trying to help us newbies....
    But SERIOUSLY I am trying to learn Mac
    How much plainer can I ask the question....?
    Like I posted ABOVE ,my Safari bookmark folders are disappearing. and those subfolders inside of my bookmarks...
    What is happening to them ???
    Thanks all
    Jean

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Bookmark folders don't "disappear" by themselves, they have to have help.
    You are either moving them are deleting them.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

jean, do you have more than one account on your Mac?

8. jeanw thread starter macrumors member

James Is there a shortcut on old corded Compaq keyboard to delete them???
    cause when I get up out of recliner and set keyboard on floor. Could I accidentally do so? that easily? Would they then be in "trashcan" ?
    Cause I checke each bookmark like I posted in original post ... I opened each bookmark and my "gone" bookmarks were not there>>>
    Gregg 2 what do you mean by "account" ? I am my macmini only user....
    Heck I dont even know my password..... cause whrn I first logged on to my new Mac, I was not sure I was going to keep it. I dont even remember typing in a user name or a password..... Thats another problem....
    Thanks
    Jean

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, that's a problem. System Preferences > Accounts is where you'd create a new account for troubleshooting purposes. But logging back into your present account would be problematic. Unfortunately, I don't know the steps for changing your password without knowing your password, but someone else will help with that.

The idea of having a separate account, even if you're the only user, is for situations just like yours. If you can't pinpoint the culprit, and discover that a different account is not corrupt, then you migrate your stuff to that account and trash the old one.

10. jeanw thread starter macrumors member

safari still stealing my bookmarks

I* had a bookmark titled "computers". So later I went in and added "camera" as a bookmark. Then drug it up and alphabetized it....
    NOw my whole "COMPUTER" bookmark is GONE>>>>>>>>>
    I checked every bookmark folder ... not there either........:mad::eek::(:confused:
    The Safari thief is backkkkkkkkk. GRRRRRRRR !!!!!!
    I had put n some stuff in it today. cause I do not know how to add a bookmark when I click on the "+" next to the address bar. Only way I know how to add a bookmark is ... Open bookmarks... then add bottom click th "+" in the bottom left corner. You all taught me that
    Thanks

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, that will add a Bookmark Collection to the list in the Sidebar panel. The other one at the bottom of that page adds a folder. That is, assuming what you mean by "Open bookmarks" is Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks

What is the problem with clicking the '+' by the address bar? That opens the same drop down as clicking Bookmarks > Add Bookmark. Then you click the up/down arrow to go to the Bookmark folder you want to put the new one in.