Why is Safari such a dog?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fox11, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Fox11 macrumors member

Don't get me wrong- I absolutely LOVE Safari, despite the zippier speed of Chrome and the bells & whistles that accompany Firefox (both of which I now use from time to time, although Safari is definitely my MAIN browser). But why does each iteration of Safari seem to take up more system resources and run slower than the previous version? Especially if it's left on for a while- I had Safari use up to 700MB of memory (constant beachballing) for no apparent reason (no windows open) after I updated to the latest version. Anyone know why Safari is such a glutton with the system resources, and if there's a way to make it run a little slimmer?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've not noticed any of those issues. Safari is the fastest browser on my machines, faster than Chrome, Firefox, anything else.

3. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Yeah Safari uses more memory then other browsers, I've checked using Activity Monitor, and it def uses more memory I have no idea why..

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm using 750mb with 15 tabs open and it's been running like that for 18 hours,seems reasonable to me.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Safari isn't behaving like that for me. More than 9 windows and 40+ tabs. Been running like this for over a week now, 24/7.

Attached Files:

6. celticpride678

8 tabs open in Safari 4.0.4 and it is using 140 MB of RAM.