Why is scrolling in Safari on the iPhone so slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisTX, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ChrisTX, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I wasn't sure where to put this thread but here it goes. I've been to the Apple store a few times now to check out the iPhone 6 plus and I've noticed something on the iPhone 6 plus compared to my Galaxy Note 3. Scrolling web pages in Safari is generally slower by a wide margin compared to Chrome on my Note 3. Safari on my iPad and Mac are fine but it just doesn't seem to have the zipiness I'm used to with Chrome. Has anyone else noticed this? Is Chrome on iOS any better? I'm considering making the switch back to the iPhone but this has concerned me. I mean it's not unbearably slow, but it's noticeably slower. Really trying to decide if the switch is worth it.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It has inertia scrolling. The more you scroll the faster it scrolls. I can get all the way down a long webpage very quickly on iOS. Not sure what you're experiencing or how you're testing it but I've never run into the issue. I've used several newer android devices and would say scrolling on iOS is just as fast if not faster.

3. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

Scrolling on iPhones is super slow in general. Had to get used it again, after using a Z10 for a year.

4. Gmcube macrumors regular

Never used an android device before but sometimes I do wish scrolling wasn't always 1:1 with your finger. For those excessively long pages it can take a while to get to the bottom. Its not a problem that comes up too often but even a simple action like triple tapping the screen or home button to snap to the bottom would be nice. Or preferably just give me a scroll speed adjustment.

5. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

Yh its pretty damn slow compared to any android i have used, not nearly as easy to get to the bottom of a webpage with one flick. Ive gotten used to it now

6. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

This is something that's always been present and can be quite annoying on long pages, especially coupled with the tab reloading. I lose my place on a long page and must scroll very slowly all the way to where I was before.

Very irritating. If there was an option to change scrolling speed it would be nice but I can't see apple ever doing that. I think a lot of it is that apple cares so much about everything looking smooth that they forego speedy scrolling because it may cause slight stutter as you are then rendering and going through content extremely quickly by scrolling so fast.

7. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Does anyone here use Chrome on the iPhone? Is it any faster, or is this an iOS issue altogether? I don't know if this is a deal breaker, but scrolling through web pages just seemed REALLY SLOW! It seems like it would be annoying after a while considering the 6 plus is generally a 2 handed device. Just trying to weigh my options. No iPhone 6 pluses available anyway which means more time to research! :D:cool:

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

There are SOME occasions where you want to zoom around to the bottom, but more often precision in tracking and registering taps, swipes and touches is far more desirable. 1:1 tracking is more advantageous for the user experience.

A better question is why does android not have a good tap to top solution, because while there may be times I want to get to bottom fast, I almost always want to get back to the top quickly, and in this android is annoyingly slow and primitive.

9. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

While I do agree with this wholeheartedly and I guess have just gotten used to there being no option for this on Android. I believe Apple patented this as they did rubber banding preventing competing Android devices from achieving this.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You can't win. Trust me I know.

Had my iPhone 6: Ahhh Tap to Top. GRRR can't get to the bottom uber fast

On my S5: WTH scrolling up sucks. Got to the bottom quick, nice.

Pick your poison.

Though, I do think in general iPhones precision and tap to top is more valuable more often than androids kinetic scrolling, which comes in handy, but not as frequently.

11. mib1800 macrumors 68020

There are many more occasions you want to SCROLL faster (both directions) than just doing a straight jump back to top. I have never felt it is annoying moving to top. Why? Maybe the occasions I needed to do that are few and far between :p