Why is silver so hard to find

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sfscott, Nov 30, 2016.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I am at a loss as to why space gray is available, but silver is a month's wait or not available at retail--including non-Apple dealers. Hard to imagine Apple figured no one would want that color. Mfg issues?

BTW, is it just me or is anyone suspecting that Apple no longer builds at launch but sits back to see demand before building. Coupled with the tease on AirPods, the impossibility of finding iPhone 7+s and limited Watch2s, this whole supply chain thing is pissing me off.

Guesses? Thoughts? Inside info?

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I'm guessing they made more SG models as they expected it to be more in demand because it's a new color and dark models are always more popular.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Re your supply chain question: it is by no means in Apple's interests to have constrained supply at launch. The difficult launches of the last couple of years are, in my opinion, down to growing demand, an increasing complexity of manufacturing, and a genuine struggle internally to stay on schedule in terms of releasing new products. It seems like everything from Apple Pencil to Apple Watch to iPhone 7 to Apple Watch 2 could have done with a couple more months (at least) in the oven. AirPods are the latest example of this.

So, which would you rather: broadly on-time launches with severe supply constraints, or delayed launches? I guess Apple chose the former.