Why is Siri a full screen interface

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Siri should be a small panel, say 300 pixels high and full width that pops up anchored to the bottom of the screen, and gives feedback (text output, results, spinning circle when processing). The app that was running when Siri was summoned resizes upwards, the same way iOS resizes downwards in the event of the double height status bar.

The user is this way free to simulataneously interact with the current task while they interact with Siri; as an added bonus the painful wait every time network conditions aren't perfect will be much less annoying and noticeable.

And to close just swipe down on the screen and it drags the whole thing down and out of view. Seamless.

Discuss.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Siri should be a small panel, say 300 pixels high and full width that pops up anchored to the bottom of the screen, and gives feedback (text output, results, spinning circle when processing). The app that was running when Siri was summoned resizes upwards, the same way iOS resizes downwards in the event of the double height status bar.

The user is this way free to simulataneously interact with the current task while they interact with Siri; as an added bonus the painful wait every time network conditions aren't perfect will be much less annoying and noticeable.

And to close just swipe down on the screen and it drags the whole thing down and out of view. Seamless.

Discuss.
I take it you don't use Siri much. If you did you would know a lot of her results that come back from Google, Wolfram Alpha or Yahoo sports takes up the entire page.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just like pretty much anything else in iOS, there's really nothing where you can work with two (or more) things at the same time. They haven't even brought in something less complex and even more straightforward like quick reply (so far).

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England

Discuss.
You mean go back to the way it was in iOS 6?
Are you afraid of change? Discuss...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. The little button for Siri with the circle and microphone in the middle would out up in a rectangle at the bottom of the screen about an inch tall.
And you were able to use it in that space while still using another app or something else above it?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Not likely. Even in iOS 6 on the iPad, where Siri was just a little window at the bottom of the screen, you still couldn't interact with the background app while talking to her/him/it.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
the A8 should have 3 chips
the A8 itself, the M8 for motion and the S8 for always listening Siri.
S8 should also have a dedicated voice recog system without having to wake the A8

Siri should not be full screen on the ipad. it should be an assistant and assistants shouldnt get in the way. only when you are then looking at the information she provides to you should siri be full screen (ala ios 6 ipad siri)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, but it came up the way he was describing.
So it was more of a visual thing rather than a functional thing. I guess that probably wouldn't help out much as far as what was brought up originally in the thread, given that the functional side of that was the main aspect of it.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Think some people may be thinking of iPad and others iPhone. iPad may have had a window, but just to be clear, iPhone Siri has always been fullscreen.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Siri is a personal assistant, I shouldn't have to wait for 10 seconds and stare at a spinning circle while she figures something out. I should be back doing my work.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Siri is a personal assistant, I shouldn't have to wait for 10 seconds and stare at a spinning circle while she figures something out. I should be back doing my work.
It's a personal assistant but one that relies on remote servers, thus the wait time in various situations.