Why is Siri so dumb? 4 years in and it's still crap...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ggvfvgbffbf, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

Ok, so I'm in the UK and the stock market is falling heavily. So I ask Siri the following...

I mean, cmon, there's no excuse for this rubbish, surely a supercomputer can understand what I'm asking here.

I don't have google now but i would expect it to be able to cope with this fiendishly difficult question.

image.jpg image.jpg

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

It's just yet another example of Apple introducing a new 'thing', then letting it rot in development hell, like iTunes Match.

3. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

What I really like about Siri is even though its on by default it's very easy to turn off and ignore.

I like iOS, thanks to Google Now and all the other wonderful free and highly useful Google Apps that make an iPhone even better.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Same here! With Siri disabled, it doesn't bother me at all.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

You're not using the "new" Siri properly! :p

With iOS 8/9, Apple borked Siri big time by switching from Google to Bing. Siri is basically useless for searching for resources not on the iPhone IMHO. I've discovered a workaround that works great almost every time.

Instead of saying "what time does Wall Street open", I say "search for what time does Wall Street open with Google". Or, rather than "tell me about Manchester UK", I say "search for Manchester UK with Google".

Sure, I get a Safari web page with the answer, but I don't get a borked response. FWIW, I also get much more concise responses for technical items with Wolfram Alpha installed.

Bing: "Bing Is Not Google". No sh*t.