Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Siri debuted with the iPhone 4S on Octoboer 14, 2011. Since when is 8 months "almost a year"?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's considered beta likely because Apple isn't completely happy with its performance, and frankly I agree. I still frequently get "I can't do that right now". It used to be 50% of the time. Now it is maybe 10%. Regardless, unless I simply cannot use my hands I almost always just go to manually entering the task as I know THAT will work every time. My feeling is Apple will drop the beta tag with Siri in iOS 6.

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
I think it'll be in beta status for quite a while longer. I don't realistically see Siri becoming all that much more useful w/in the 12 months.

But being in beta isn't that bad, Gmail was in beta for like, ever.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
They should update Siri more often.

Like release all the new Siri features in iOS 6 now...then during the iPhone keynote later this year announce more improvements...then in the ipad keynote next year announce more announcements, etc.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
It's because it gives apple much more leniency when it comes to law suits regarding siri's poor performance. They just say "it is in beta, you can't expect a perfect product in beta."

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's beta because it takes a long time for this type of technology to mature, especially when they're trying to make it easy to use and there's no settings to customize it for yourself. Everyone has a different voice and Siri has to learn them all.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
It's very much Beta with the lack of features for UK users, i've done without it for so long now i think i could easily live without it once finished.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Because it isn't 100% yet. If you have any ideas to make it better please apply for a job at apple and enlighten them.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I will never see it as being "done".

Steve described Siri as being an AI program in his D10 interview. This means that it would be constantly be learning from all the commands being fed it and improve accordingly. Which implies there can never be a finished or perfect version or Siri, as there will always be some aspect it can be worked on.

Basically, it will only be as good as the devs continue to maintain and update it as necessary.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Siri will be in beta for a very very long time. It's taking time to learn all the accents of all the languages, and also in signing up other companies to cater for other functions of Siri.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Because Siri is still a very complex idea. And it is still learning human speech in different languages and in forms. Of course it's in beta, it's still learning how to search things..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.