All iPads Why is smart cover 40$?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by goobot, Oct 26, 2012.

1. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Im just wondering, what makes it cost so much? I feel like it should cost 30$.

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

because people will buy them.

you don't need a justification for the price if it sells :)

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I bought one to simply use and return - its my way of rebelling against the price. Wont cost me anything :)

4. Scott2345 macrumors regular

I bought a smart cover and yes it should retail for about $25 not $40, for those that have one whats your feedback on it?

5. seajewel macrumors 6502

I had one for a while with my iPad 3 (I ended up returning the iPad) and I loved the Smart Cover. That said, I think it's very pricey for a PU item.. but it felt very nice, was very thin, functioned well, the inside lining is soft, etc. I really did enjoy it but I think the price is high.. especially for the Mini.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

I can't believe people think Apple should price things fairly. Go to the website below and look where apple is ranked among the world brands.....

They can do whatever they damn well want and get away with it...OK with me, I own a ton of their stock...

But yeah, it's worth $25....

http://rankingthebrands.com/

7. Scott2345 macrumors regular

Thanks! I bought it for my iPad 3 as well. Yeah the price for the mini version is defiantly to high.

8. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

If you don't like the price, then ignore the guy behind you holding the gun to your head forcing you to buy it.

9. iPadMini macrumors newbie

I had one back when I owned the iPad 2. My biggest problem about getting a third party one was that it would tip over fall and I would ruin my $500+ iPad 2. By getting something Apple branded you kind've have the "Apple peace of mind factor".

I'm going to be honest here:

I bought the Nexus 7 when it came out from Google and I had to get it replaced 4 times. I had to keep shipping it back to Google by mail and it really got on my nerves. With Apple you can order something online and return it to the store.

10. newipad2 macrumors newbie

I think the Apple logo worth $30 and smart cover costs $5 and $5 profit goes to the retailer:D

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's called "desire for profit".

If they price it at $40 and people buy them, they why not? If people held on to their money and didn't buy them, I'm sure Apple would sell them for less. But we don't. So they don't. Simple.

12. amazonpam macrumors member

I wanted different colors than Apple offered, so I went the 3rd party route. Got 2 for $25.00 and haven't had any problem with the one I've been using. It also cleans up with a damp cloth.

13. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Because Apple is an incredibly greedy company and the morons (including me) that like their products will continue to pay their stupidly high prices for their products.

14. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

It's overpriced simply put.

16. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

i agree

$10 manufacturing & materials
    $10 company overhead
    $10 profit

$10 self loathing Apple tax

17. AFDoc, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I would bet it's not even close to $10 in manufacturing and materials. I guess the most expensive part would be the magnets but buying in such bulk I imagine it keeps the cost down.

OF course I have no clue so I'm talking out my buttock

18. kyussmondo macrumors member

Yeah they are overpriced but people will usually add this as an option near checkout, they can get away with it. Apple make a big enough margin on the iPad that they could probably make a loss on these things.

It is also probably not to upset third party case makers. If they sold them for ~$20 who would ever consider buying other cases?

19. sineplex macrumors 6502

This. The more case makers, the more choice and momentum in the market place.

20. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I love my leather smart cover. Got my black one on clearance at Wal-Mart a while back.

I wouldn't spend $40 for the poly one, but I did spend $40 for the leather one.

21. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

Agree,

Poly is just plastic it shouldn't be that much. I've always bought the leather smartcovers and I think they are fairly priced.

22. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just curious, why do some posters put the dollar sign behind the number?

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Welcome to the world of Apple Inc.

Where your money is more important to Apple than you are ha...ha...ha... Now hand it over :)

24. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Why they're $40? So some Chinese corporate fatcat can make millions by selling cheap knockoffs in bulk which pop up on eBay and Amazon for $9.99.

On a more serious note, maybe they're so highly priced so that we all explore the (well, sometimes) beautiful world of third-party cases and covers? :)

25. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Usually different countries I think.