Why is software update and screen sharing in ~system/library/core services???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No. They're integral to the OS, users shouldn't go messing with them.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

They should:p?

I think you mean they shouldn't

But I can open the screen sharing app and enter my host name instead of looking in finder, i think it makes sense.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Software Update has no need to be in Applications - you're meant to access it through System Preferences anyway. As for Screen Sharing, it only makes sense to be available when there are networked computers visible that support it, and since it has hooks into the Finder and iChat, it doesn't really need to be openable by end users, unless you're trying to share with a computer that, for some reason, isn't visible on the network. Then, I can understand.

5. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

The VNC feature of Leopard is actually a key part in the .Mac Back to My Mac. Since, .Mac is an integral part of the Mac-Style, it's integrated into the OS. That's why if you have a .Mac account you have Mail.app set everything up for you, iWeb, iDisk... etc.

Besides, the built-in VNC stuff is kinda slow, even on two high-end Macs and a fast internet/ethernet.

It's easier to write an AppleScript to SSH the computer you want to control then VNC it.

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

exactly.