Why Is Steve Surprised About Unlocked iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gkarris, Sep 19, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I mean, when I bought my iPhone at the Apple Store, they took my payment, stuffed it in a bag, said thanks, and sent me on my way.

All the other phones I've had for almost 18 years (my first was in 1989) they did a "store activation" to make sure it's activated on the provider's network, ESPECIALLY with subsidized phones.

Why doesn't AT&T make you do the same with the iPhone? Bringing home an non-subsidized, full price, unactivated phone is asking for unlocking hacks...

2. shoelessone macrumors 6502

the iPhone really isn't subsidized is it? I mean, you pay 399 regardless of whether you purchase service for it or not, correct?

Also, I'm sure Steve is not surprised by the unlocking, what gives you that impression?

3. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I highly doubt that they are suprised by it, and I would be very suprised if this update coming DIDNT do something about the unlocking. They knew it was just a matter of time for someone to figure out how to do it.

I dont see them being able to relock the already unlocked phones, but I can see the update making it so the unlock no longer works.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm sure he's about as "surprised" as the unlocking as he was "surprised" by the price drop backlash. :)

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I think he is not used to seeing Apple products get hacked.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First off, I wouldn't call this a "hack" so much as a utility modifcation. A hack is done maliciously. Unlocking your iPhone might not be good for AT&T, but it's not meant to harm the device.

And if he's genuinely not used to Apple products being modded, then he's had his head in the sand. DRM circumvention for iTunes exists. People have had iPods running linux for a while now. And OS X's BSD-based core opens it up to all kinds of modifications. This is really nothing new.

Again, if Steve is acting surprised, he's likely doing it to continue to play nice with AT&T, and because content providers for iTunes continue to be antsy about opening up their content. The "concern" is probably more intended to mollify Apple's partners.

7. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Well put, I mean, why sell it without store activation?

Before getting mine, I asked the employee what the stance was on fixing phones that were unlocked. His answer was as long as it's an Apple product, they will service it....