Why is TC so slow to access data on HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rkdiddy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

So I picked up a 500gb TC on Friday and setup was fairly straight forward.

The internet runs fast on all of my computers, however there seems to be a delay when accessing files stored on the TC. Is this delay normal?

I deal with a lot of large PhotoShop and AI files - would I be better off purchasing an Airport Extreme with an USB external drive?

2. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Havent tried Time Capsule, but my AE + External HDD works flawlessly, as far as the speeds, it goes as fast as usb allows.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm connected via gigabit, and once the hdd has initially spun up, its as fast as
    anyother drive I have used

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

is there an option in Airport Utility to not let the TC sleep? if you want to access it while the it hard disk is asleep you have to wait for the disk platters to spin up before you can access it.

5. rkdiddy thread starter macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

What type of HDD are you using?

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I backup my Quicken data files to my Time Capsule and there is usually a 15 to 20 second delay between the time I press Enter from within the Quicken Backup dialog box and the time the backup is complete, although the size of the backup files totals less than 7 MB. I suspect the delay is simply an indication that the sleeping disk took a few seconds to spin up. It has been no big deal, although I had a few heart palpitations the first time it happened. :)

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

some old 200GB seagate. hdd type doesnt matter at all, which version of osx are you running?

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It has everything to do with the HDD sleeping. Just something you have to live with...

9. rkdiddy thread starter macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Alright so I ended up purchasing an Airport Extreme with an External HD attached to test the difference.

I was told at the Apple Store the difference would be minimal and they were sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a TC and a AE with EHD attached.

Well, they're wrong. There is huge difference. When clicking on the folders on the TC everything had a 5 to 8 second delay before anything opened. When clicking on MP3s there would be a 15 second delay before they would begin playing.

The AE with EHD was a totally different story. Accessing files was virtually immediate. I'm pleasantly surprised!

Based off this test, I'm going to be returning my TC tomorrow.

:apple:

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

That's because the USB HD connected to your AirPort Extreme never spins down.

11. rkdiddy thread starter macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

That makes sense. I'm using a WD Mybook 500gb, that automatically powers down with your computer - however since it is connected to my AE it is always on.

Is that a bad thing?