Why is the 2014 2.6 GHz so slow?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Naimfan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

I have a 2014 2.6 GHz/8GB/1 TB SSHD.

The UI is painfully slow - an old Mac Pro leaves it for dead.

The drive is a Seagate 1 TB SSHD, with 8 GB of flash, and is brand new. I've done a clean install of Sierra, allowed it to index for days, and I still get the rainbow beachball.

Does the 2014 really suck that badly? I have a 2012 2.3 i7 that is MUCH more responsive, with no beachballing (also has 8 GB RAM and a 1 TB 5400 RPM drive).

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

With only 8GB of SSD, I would say it is the spinning drives.

My bother gave me his 17" 2011 MBP with a 1TB HDD. He had the logic board replace a few times, and the GPU just kept failing eventually. He got tired of dealing with it and he got a new MBP.

I did a clean install of 10.13, and the UI is sluggish compare to my much older Mac Pro1,1. I am replacing the HDD for a SSD this weekend, hopefully it fixes the sluggishness. If not, I am probably going to install 10.11 on it.

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

General responsiveness is typically fixed with sufficient RAM (which you have) and an SSD.

Your situation seems atypical though, since your 2012 has a spinner and you report that it is snappy in comparison.

At this point I can only speculate that something is wrong with the 2014. Is all of the RAM good and recognized by the OS? Is the SSHD's SMART report clean?

4. Naimfan thread starter Suspended

Naimfan

I'll check the sshd smart status - thank you, a good suggestion.

I'll also look at activity monitor more . . .

It is just dog slow.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "It is just dog slow."

Boot up with a REAL SSD (not with a "hybrid").

Then... it will become considerably faster.

Guaranteed!

6. Naimfan thread starter Suspended

Naimfan

Ha - sure. $180+ for a 1 TB SSD to make a $300 desktop work tolerably . . .

;)

7. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

Well, I still didn't upgrade El Capitan to neither Sierra, nor High Sierra. I swapped the HDD for an standard 2.5" SSD and it feels much more responsive now.

One option for the OP would be, if he is using High Sierra, to try out an external GPU in Thunderbolt case, but that is already out of budget anyway and to expensive for a bit more responsive UI.

Than it is better to sell the Mac mini and buy something newer, faster, stronger (and much more expensive) from Apple.

8. vertical smile, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

You could always get a smaller SSD, New Egg has 120GB SSD for $20, and just an external HDD.

Make them into a Fusion Drive if you want to see one drive.

9. Naimfan thread starter Suspended

Naimfan

I like your idea, but the Mini I have (well, one of the 2) is a current model. It's not a work machine - just for fun - but the performance differential is remarkable.

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I just assume something is wrong. A brand new SSHD shouldn't be significantly slower than an HDD, especially stock Apple HDDs which are 5400rpm.

What did the Mini have for storage before the SSHD, and how was it in comparison?

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I was under the impression that it was after changing the OS that lead to the poor performance. I have since looked back over the first post, and I am not sure what has actually changed.

To the OP: What changed that lead to a change of performance? I guess I just assumed it was a change of OS, which new Mac OS versions have been know to not run well on spinning disks.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Put an SSD in it.

I put one in my friend's 2010 13" MBP and my sister's 2009 13" MBP, they both perform faster than they ever did new, and are still quite capable little machines aside from tasks that modern CPUs have hardware acceleration for.

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Well he said in the first post that the SSHD is brand new, so I assumed that would be the change. It is possible he also upgraded to a new OS, so there could be more than one change.

14. Naimfan thread starter Suspended

Naimfan

The only change was from the Apple 5400 RPM drive to a new Seagate SSHD drive. It has passed SMART verification.

15. Naimfan thread starter Suspended

Naimfan

Update: No idea why, but a restart seems to have corrected whatever the problem was. VERY curious because I'd done a clean install, which did not cure it.

Now, at least, it is running as I *believe* it should. Thanks to all for your help!

:)

16. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

Modern Operating System like do cache. The main culprit was Spotlight. And also icloud keep sync. The only way to avoid is changed to SSD or external SSD.

Maybe at first time, spotlight doing some cache so your new mac mini a bit slow. After rebuilding index cache must a little faster but still i hate icloud and spotlight.. good concept bad idea

17. Naimfan thread starter Suspended

Naimfan

Yep, I never use iCloud.

18. jm31828 macrumors member

That’s the model I have, and it has been upgraded to high Sierra with no performance issues- it’s actually pretty snappy! Perhaps yours has a hard drive issue?

19. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

JW, are you using a HDD?

20. iop macrumors 6502

Get rid of that HDD. If you don't want want to buy a big SSD, get a cheap small one (e.g., Kingston UV500 120 GB for under $50), and a USB3-SATA enclosure to run the original hard drive.

Check the CPU heat sink for dust. Perhaps the CPU is throttled because of high temperatures.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2018 ---
    <$50 for a cheap 120 GB SSD (or $50 for 240 GB), and $10 for a USB3-SATA enclosure to use the original HDD.

21. jm31828 macrumors member

Yes

22. ivnj macrumors 65816

I have the same machine. Not slow at all. No ssd.