Why is the AirPort Extreme so expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by creeman, Nov 30, 2009.

1. creeman macrumors 6502

I have been looking at getting a new wireless n router, and was looking at the AirPort Extreme. But why is it so expensive? Whats makes it worth the $160? Why would it be any better than say at $50 linksys wireless n router?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha. Of course. Makes sense!

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I doubt you could find a dual-band router that supports both hard disks and printers off USB for under $100. After that its the label.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wireless-N, Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Air Disk and Gigabit Ethernet for once.

When i bought my AEBS, I saw a Netgear router with dual-band wireless network and Gigabit ethernet ports, and it cost 180€. The AEBS cost me 130€.

Routers around 50€ won't offer you that.

Now you have to decide if you need all that fancy stuff of course, but for me it was worth it.

7. creeman thread starter macrumors 6502

So how does it differ from a DIR-825? I suppose i can either get a DIR-825 or pay the extra $40 and get a nice Apple product.

8. 66318 macrumors regular

The Airport Extreme (or any Apple router) is a must have if you want to take advantage of the wake on demand feature of Snow Leopard. What this does is allow your Mac to go to sleep, but still offer features like file sharing, iTunes music streaming, and screen sharing on demand. This works because the router will wake the Mac back up when necessary. This includes using Back to my Mac.

That alone sold me on an Airport Extreme.

As for the price, Apple tends to set the price at what they feel is competitive when the product launched, and never bothers to adjust it afterwords. Dual band for a while was rare, and I had paid $300 for a Buffalo router that offered this, and N a while back.