Why is the Apple App Store So Slow?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by SomeDudeAsking, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

When ever I launch the Apple App Store on my iPhone it always spins around for like 10-15 seconds like it's processing something. It's freaking annoying and is horrible to use when all I want to do is browse for apps. It's even worse when clicking on the Update tab in the Apple App Store. It pauses and the interface lags. And don't even think about trying to view my past app purchases because it now takes minutes for that to even start loading into view. The Apple App Store is horrible for responsiveness and fluidity. It drops frames and stutters when I do the basic things above.

Having also been using Android devices for the past few weeks, I see that the Google Play store is much more responsive and fluid. It doesn't make me wait when I swipe to a section or check my app updates or past purchases. What gives, Apple?

2. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Yeah I think most people are experiencing the same issue. The redesigned App Store has been slow since the iOS 6.0 update & rather RAM-heavy as well. I think Apple haven't properly optimized it yet, hopefully it'll be faster in 6.1.

3. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

It's been slow for me since iOS 5. It always seems like the App Store only runs on 1 thread and is poorly coded so that whenever it is downloading something or processing, it freezes the interface. And it also seems that the App Store is very inefficient at checking for updates, freezing the App Store every time I open it.

4. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

The redesign is awful. The old layout was faster and a much more enjoyable way to browse apps.

5. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

This.

Before the redesign, I would find myself perusing the app store almost daily, looking for new games and utilities. I don't venture in there anymore. It feels counter-intuitive, confusing, and plain amateur.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Instant gratification takes too long doesn't it?

I just timed how long it took the Apps Store to display my apps. Since I have several hundred apps I thought this would be a good test. It took 10 seconds.

It took only five seconds for the app store search window to open.

I have only five apps that need to be updated so it took less than five seconds for that window to open.

None of these times indicate "forever". Thus my opening statement.

7. Oui macrumors 6502

8. jacobss macrumors 6502

9. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Those times suck and support my statement that the Apple App Store is slow and laggy. 5 seconds just to open search? Please. If you've used the Google Play Store, you would know that all the actions you've listed happen in under a second. It is because the Apple App Store has been so slow for ever, that iOS users don't even know what good response time is anymore.

And you are lucky your past app downloads even loads for you. I've downloaded/purchased thousands of apps in the past on the Apple App Store and my purchase history screen rarely even loads anymore.

10. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

You really don't have to call it Apple App Store since you're here on MacRumors.

I agree that it's really slow and I hope they fix that so hard.

11. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, there is the Amazon App Store.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Just this morning I wanted to see what I have in my purchases. On my iPhone 5 it took somewhere between one and two minutes for the list to populate and then it lagged badly if I went too fast. Horrible experience.

13. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Yep but isn't this an Apple Forum?

14. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Partially. We do have an Android sub-forum and I have used the Amazon App Store. And besides, app store is a generic term and is not trademarked.

15. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Lol mate hes talking about app store on iOS :D

Anyway after the update its very slow, specially on ipad plus now it dont display remain credit/gift card.

16. HadItWithWindow macrumors regular

Problems w/iPhone 5 App Updates

Some days my App Store shows updates. Sometimes it goes well but lately not so well.

Right now I have three Apps hung in updating.

Facebook Ver 5.2.1

Twitter Ver 5.1

iBooks (Which always seems to be a problem) Ver 3.0.2

These three have been hanging "installing" for hours now. Anyone else? Solutions?

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yup before you have a page to view and could scroll horizontally. Now you get everything which i'm sure doesn't help if it's doing the same for everyone who visits the app store.

18. ike08, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

ike08 macrumors newbie

19. MMOTotal macrumors regular

It's more of an "anything but iOS" forum not specifically for Android but other operating systems too. Also to add, people associate the app store with what is on iOS.

20. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I actually love the redesign, just hate that it's sometimes so slow....
    Also, say I've updated my Apps, then more updates come through, it'll show that there are 'x' amount of updates, but when I click updates it just stands at a blank white page.
    I have to quit the app, then reopen it. Annoying! On my iPhone 5, iPad 3 & iPad mini!

But, I like the redesign :)

21. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't have a trademark on "app store". There are other app stores, it is a generic term.

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

the worst part is that apple sent out a survey to customers to suggest appstore improvements and how they currently like it.

is this what people actually asked for?

23. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Worst part is that old style is not coming back.

24. Soundflunky macrumors regular

He's obviously being intentionally pedantic.

25. Oui macrumors 6502

Nor should it. Then new store is great.
    I wish they would just compile it all into one store.
    Uh they could call it iTunes.
    Access everything form the one place like the computer.