Why is the bezel so thick on the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 212rikanmofo, Aug 11, 2014.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I really love this computer but one thing thats been bugging me is the bezel. Why is it so damn thick?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Are you sure you are looking at the front and not the back?:eek:

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

What do you mean? You have to agree the bezel is pretty thick, especially compared to the retinas. Im curious why they didnt reduce them for the airs.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I do not think they are too thick. It does not even occur to me. I am loving my MBA 13. One of the best laptops I have owned.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Really? That is the first thing that jumps at me when I open up a MBA. Then again I am one to prefer a 1mm bezel all around a screen :p You must notice it on the 11" model though, that one is way out of proportion.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This is asked every 3 month or so and should be on a FAQ.

The logical reason for the thick Air's thick bezel is so that a very thin (shallow) bevel lid is achieved. Until of course they can manufacture even thinner LCD panels.

7. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

As much as I like my Air (11") I tend to agree. If the bezel would be half of what it is today, the screen could be so much bigger! Having said that after 2 weeks of use I barely notice it anymore.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That bevel provides some structural rigidity to the lid as well.

9. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

Short answer: It's the way it was designed. :)
    Longer answer: I think it has to do with the way it was designed. :)

In all seriousness though, that's the way it's been since it was first introduced 5 or 6 years ago. There has been alot of speculation about a new 12-inch Retina MacBook Air Apple is designing for release in this Fall. Perhaps we'll see a more edge-to-edge design (like the rMBP)?

10. kolax macrumors G3

I'm surprised by the bezel thickness too, especially on the 11". Though I quite like the thickness on the 13", it's softer on the eyes if that makes any sense - as opposed to looking to the edge of your screen and your eyes seeing what's behind your screen in an ultra thin bezel display.

The dimensions of the 13" rMBP confuse me though - the top is thicker than the bottom, and a different thickness to the width. The iSight (or FaceTime) camera is the ambient light sensor too I think, so I don't see why it has to be so thick.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I love the mba the way they are. I hope they dont change them!

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

It is a design classic now, isn't it Meister? I know they are going to change it somewhat, but like you, I hope it retains it's basic classic lines and minimalism. It really did change the way portable computers are designed and manufactured. Certainly a game-changing design. I still just stare and marvel at it sometimes on my desk. Arguably the industry's finest design achievement in the portable computer market.

13. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

It's (one of) the reason(s) I sent an mba back to Apple and bought a rmbp.

It's so distracting, especially in combination with the light grey. If it was dark grey or black it wouldn't bug me so much.

14. kolax macrumors G3

I love the silver bezel. I think the old PowerBooks and original MacBook Pros looked far better.

15. 960design macrumors 68020

I don't mind the bezel size. It seems to fit the design. Hopefully Apple will throw some mono-Si cells along that bezel and some piezoelectric ceramics under the keyboards to further improve battery life.