Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yotaguy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2005
why is apple charing $125 for a black macbook?

I can see why NOBODY is buying them. You can have a white macbook with the same specs for less. And better specs for the same price..

This seems strange for apple. they dont charge more for a black ipod or a colored nano?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It does have slightly higher specs, so it is more like $40 more when you make them equaly speced. the reason why they charge that much is because people are willing to pay extra for the color.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Because some people are willing to pay a premium for the black color. I personally think that the black color doesn't look very good.

LinuXtreme

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Near Aspen

I can see why NOBODY is buying them. You can have a white macbook with the same specs for less. And better specs for the same price..

This seems strange for apple. they dont charge more for a black ipod or a colored nano?

I don't think they're exactly languishing on the warehouse shelves. I've seen plenty of posts here by people who own one (When anyone posts about having a macbook at all. The MBP seems to be more popular here on MR than the MB, but I digress). I myself am looking to get myself a "BlackBook".

I guess some people prefer the black macbook because they don't like white (I don't like white. Worth the premium to me to have a black macbook). Another reason is that the white MB used to get discolored (not sure if thats true anymore) and so people went with black so that the dirt didn't show.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I work for a retailer which sells Macs. When the Blackbook was introduced, our Apple account manager told us that the black ones were dearer because of the ports.

The white Macbooks and the MBP all have white inner ports. The Blackbook has black inner ports since white ones would look stupid... but apparently that add costs.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
It does have slightly higher specs, so it is more like $40 more when you make them equaly speced. the reason why they charge that much is because people are willing to pay extra for the color.

It's just the bigger HD, right? Then the premium is $125 (instead of $200)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I personally think that the black color doesn't look very good.
I, too prefer the white look... and never got the appeal of the "Blackbook" until... well, yes, now my beautiful white MB's palmrests are grubby. iKlear and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can't budge the stains. :( And even the KB keys aren't quite white anymore. I'm quite a bit disappointed, really. :eek: Soon as I get a method to back up, I'm gonna bring the MB in to Apple. See if they can do a KB/ case swap. Sigh.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
The BlackBook is no better, the keys and palm-rest and the trackpad go shiny after use! Nothing you can do to change it.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The BlackBook is no better, the keys and palm-rest and the trackpad go shiny after use! Nothing you can do to change it.
Of course there is. Use a BT keyboard and mouse at all times. Sure, it's awkward, but it keeps the Mac pristine. :)

Seriously, though, even the MBP gets shiny with use.

LinuXtreme

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Near Aspen

Yeah, thats the story with my Thinkpad. But I'd still prefer shiny spots on a BlackBook to off-color spots on a white macbook :p

atomicshark

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
New York
Personally I think this was a test by Mr. Jobs to see how far Apple can go with over pricing something based almost purely on cosmetics.

I guess it kind of worked, I'm typing this on a black Macbook.:apple:

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Refurb Blackbook is the best deal, i got the Rev B 2.16 Core 2 Duo for $1049, its only $50 more than the similar Rev B Whitebook and you get the 40gb hard drive bump.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Refurb Blackbook is the best deal, i got the Rev B 2.16 Core 2 Duo for $1049, its only $50 more than the similar Rev B Whitebook and you get the 40gb hard drive bump.

Do the refurbs all look new or are they allowed to have cosmetic wear and tear?

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Sprint:pPC-6700; PPC; 240x320))

as far as I know, any visible cosmetic wear is replaced (ie new topcase, etc) during the refurb process. refurbs should be cosmetically pristine.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Could the finish on the blackbook have something to do with it? I was looking at them more closely the other day, and I noticed that the white MB has a shiny/glossy finish, while the black MB has more of a matte finish? I'm not entirely sure that the process completely represents the 125 price difference, but it might explain it a little.

**shrugs** Oh well.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I think the blackbook is the best thing Apple has done since the iMac with colors. It looks better than the white one and it goes well with any black iPod or other black periphs you may have. There is a way to protect it from your dirty wrists by using Apple Peelz (http://www.applepeelz.com) and getting the whole peel to protect your book. They say the matte finish makes it hard to apply them correctly but you do a wet application so any mistakes can be corrected before the thing dries.

The price difference is worth it... as usual, you have to pay extra for the cool Apple stuff.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Because some people are willing to pay a premium for the black color. I personally think that the black color doesn't look very good.

It's all personal preferences. I think the black ones are pure sex! But, like most things black like that, they show up smudges and scratches etc. far more than white.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
I have a blackbook and can not be happier. It was worth spending the extra cash on the upgraded HD. I didnt need a MBP so this worked out perfect for me. I like the look of the blackbook, and didnt get the whitebook because I have sweaty hands and I didnt want to show the discoloration.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
jackiecanev2 said:
as far as I know, any visible cosmetic wear is replaced (ie new topcase, etc) during the refurb process. refurbs should be cosmetically pristine.

Minor cosmetic wear is allowable with refurbished machines. You shouldn't be under the assumption that you will receive a cosmetically perfect computer if you decide to buy refurbished -- although sometimes you might get lucky and receive a perfect, like-new machine.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030

once you go black you never go back

seriously though, everyone I know that owns a MB (me included) owns the Black version. at least all the GUYS I know do. Two girls I know that have MB's have the white version.

I got the Blackbook cuz I was tired of all the white Mac products I have, from iPods to Cinema Displays to my airport Extreme. Plus I like how it is less eye catching and more lo-profile IMO

Glad I got the blackbook big time.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
I also have a Black Mac Book...

The reason I went "black" is because I took a good look at a white MacBook one some was using at a conference... around the edges it looked more like yellowish/brown... :rolleyes: So I had to ask if that was the discouloring problem many were "nagging" about..(and for good reason, it looked ugly as...) I must have struck a weak spot but I did not infer... You can't kill a man whose MacBook is already mutating colour :p :D

So black I went .... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.