Why is the booting time not that fast after installing the new intel 160GB ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Nov 5, 2010.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

I just replaced my HDD with the new intel 160GB SSD. Everything is amazingly fast except for the booting process.

After I shut down the computer(which is extremely fast, about 3 seconds), I start my MBP, yet what's been puzzling me is that the time between pressing the button and appearing of the Apple logo last at least 15 seconds, after that, everything is just normal (fast, fast!!).

I wonder if this is normal, thx!

2. montblanc1 thread starter macrumors member

BTW, every time I press option when booting , it's extremely fast !!

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Did you install Mac OS from scratch or did you copy it from your old HDD to the SSD?

I had the same problem, and it cleared up by doing a wipe of the drive and doing a clean install of the OS.

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Try going into System Preferences and selecting your drive as the start up drive. Sounds stupid but sometimes it makes a big difference.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

this

6. cwsm macrumors member

Any way of fixing it without reinstalling? The time wasted on getting system back to the way it is right now through a fresh reinstall would probably be greater than the boot time I will save or even the extra time benefitted from using a SSD vs my old HDD. I'm just sayin...

7. cwsm macrumors member

I already did that. My boot time is still 20s from pressing the ON button. The slowest part is getting to the Apple logo. After that, I'm really pleased with it. I takes 5-7 spins at the apple logo, then loads instantaneously. Shut down is 2s, which is impressive as well.

8. montblanc1 thread starter macrumors member

I did it!!!

And booting time now is just 10-15 seconds, amazing

you should go to system preference and select Intel SSD as your start up disk