Why is the charger for the Air different from the Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stanw, Nov 17, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

Why does the new Air use a different charger from the Macbook Pro? is there a reason it is different from Macbook Pro chargers?

Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Probably because the MBA requires only a 45 watt adapter while the MBP needs a 60 watt adapter. The Pro pulls more power than the Air.

3. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

And the Air includes the smaller form factor charger for weight and size considerations.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Similar thing with the iPhone charger vs the iPad charger...

5. brberg macrumors member

Battery size

Not only does the Air require less power than the MPB, it also has a smaller battery. This means it doesn't need the same high wattage to charge in a reasonable amount of time :)

The MBA charger is really nice in that it's relatively small and easy to travel with compared to the larger wall unit for the MPB.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Bigger Car wants bigger tires and bigger motor.

More powerful computer needs more juice = more powerful, larger power source.

The world makes sense as usual.

7. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

That's half of the equation. The other half is that people who want airs also valuable portability. Therefore, the adapter has to be smaller than a typical charger would be.

8. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, what I just realized is that the power supply for my 3-yr old Macbook Pro is different from the new Macbook Air and the new Macbook Pro...

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

And this bothers you, seems odd to you... how?

10. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

only because I have had 3 Macbook Pros and I purchased extra power adapters and it would have been nice if I could have used those same adapters with the new Air and new Macbook Pro, though they are different....

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can get a $10 adapter that changes the older, bigger MagSafe connector so it fits on the new MagSafe 2 notebooks.

You can also use a bigger 65w charger on an Air. The Air knows how to handle that situation. You can also use a smaller Air charger on a MBP, but it'll take longer to charge (and may not be able to even maintain the current charge if you're really pushing the MBP while it's connected).

12. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

I had two of them myself, I bought two adapters from Apple for $8 a piece. Now I use all three of the adapters interchangeably with my MBA.

13. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601