Why is the clock killing the battery!?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fake1009, Sep 19, 2008.

1. fake1009 macrumors member

A couple days ago I set a countdown(not the alarm) as a alarm for myself to wake up the next morning. Six hours later I woke up and my battery was half dead from the countdown!

Today I opened the countdown thing but I did not start the timer and put the ipod to sleep. Surprisingly six hours later my ipod was at around half battery.

From this i concluded that my touch was killing its battery when the clock app was open even if it was not performing any obvious function.

Wi-fi and push were not on. Music also was not playing. Anybody notice this? Do you guys think these two are isolated incidents?
    :confused:
    I am planning on restoring to fix this and other problems.

2. fake1009 thread starter macrumors member

i would like to add that it was just sitting in my pocket. There was no way for it to accidentally unlock and waste battery and lock itself again before i used my touch.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

alright. Well then file a bug report with Apple and use alarms for alarms instead of a countdown. There problem solved.

4. fake1009 thread starter macrumors member

Using the alarm instead of the countdown is not the point. Does it take a long time to file a bug report?

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not really, just give as much detail as possible and learn how to quote. And using the count down is the point. Why would you have a count down that must be running the whole time keeping track of every second (that's what's wasting your battery) when you could just set an alarm that knows what time to sound?

6. fake1009 thread starter macrumors member

okay... ur still not getting the point. Even when the app is open (not doing any sort of function) and I put it to sleep it wastes like half my battery. There plain and simple I hope u get it now.:)

Just gonna restore it...

thanks!

7. Funplex macrumors regular

If you leave crap like "push" or countdown on, yah--- it will drain. Since it is internally counting down, yes it will use battery. A countdown involves the touch figuring out how much time is left. It's WORKING. Plain and simple. Use the alarm instead.

Your attitude lacks, young Padawan.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I do get it. You don't. Your iPod is still working and calculating (although they are small calculations, a lot of them after awhile will drain the battery) even if you put it to sleep. Plain and simple.

PS: have fun restoring, it's not going to change anything.

9. fake1009 thread starter macrumors member

I am sorry if i am confusing ( I am pretty sure I am) but the application is open when i sleep the ipod. The countdown is NOT counting down it is just sitting there. The alarm is NOT on just sitting there in the off position. The app is simply sitting there doing nothing but being open with NOTHING on, no countdown, no alarm, no nothing, just open. Also push is not on.

I was planning on restoring to fix a plethora of other problems too by the way.

thank you very much.:)

i am not really sure if small calculations such as sleeping with an open clock app(not counting down or alarm on) will drain the battery.