Why is the default for all notifications to appear in lock screen?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Aug 6, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

Whenever you restart your phone, the default notification setting for every app is to appear in lock screen.

This is extremely annoying, as I often forget so when I look at my phone the screen is filled with pointless notifications alerting me that it is my move in words with friends and I have 10 new spam emails.

This trivial info clouds the important stuff. All I need to see in lock screen are missed calls and texts.

My question is what does Apple have to gain by making this the default?

2. Baggio macrumors 6502

Because someone would just complain that it isn't the default and should be. But once I turn off the ones that I don't want in the lockscreen, it doesn't default back to the original setting on a restart.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I can't imagine anyone wants their lock screen cluttered with completely unimportant notifications that get in the way of important ones

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed but there are obviously a few camps here. People who bitch that notifications aren't default, people who bitch that they are, and people who do not care.

There is no pleasing anyone. Really.

5. Baggio macrumors 6502

Don't allow apps to send notifications when you install and use the first time if that is such a big issue. The point being is you can't make everyone happy. Unfortunately, you have customize each apps use of notifications.

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No, the default should not be to bombard you with useless notifications.

7. Baggio macrumors 6502

No, the default is allow or deny notifications. If you allow notifications, then what do you expect? No notifications? Are you really seriously complaining about notifications you allowed?

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

When you restart your phone your notification settings change somehow? That doesn't sound right.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always "I can't imagine" != "does not exist". You can't just assume that your preferences are universal no matter what the topic. The universe does not revolve around any one person.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I hate how the default setting is to show all notifications in lock screen

Why would they do this? Most people only want their calls and texts,
    Anything more than it looks like a cluttered notification center.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Do you have any evidence for this? Or are you throwing around wild assumptions.

Most people I know have most notifications come through on their lock screen, or specifically ones they care about, such as calls, texts, email, sports updates, etc.

I think you're just wildly generalizing. Some people may think like you, but what's the point of trying to make this generalization?

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, plenty want many other things on their lock screen too.

What I would say is an actual issue is that if you decline enabling notifications when an application initially asks you, while it disables some of the things like banners/alerts and sounds, it still leaves some other ones like lock screen notifications and notifications in notification center. Now that shouldn't be happening--I can see maybe leaving badge notifications enabled just in case, but that's really it.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok, most people I know just have calls/txts on. You're prob right though, everyone's diff.