Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhoffy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
I've gotta believe that there is another reason why the 3G version is being released later than the WiFi version. Seriously, they really needed 2-3 weeks to accommodate those units with the extra chipset? There must be more to the story.

Did Apple want to deter people from buying the 3G version to diminish their ties with AT&T? I mean, if both were offered at the same time, I would think there would have been a large group of people who would have spent the extra $130 to have the option of using 3G. Instead, many people went for the WiFi version because they couldn't wait to get hold of a new device. Believe me, I understand. It has taken enormous restraint for me not to have gone on iPad day to get one for myself!

Any ideas?

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Could be a lot of things

Production issues
FCC issues
AT & T issues...

Who knows?

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
That and wanting to meet the supply and demand of the product. It is very interesting too that the sale of the ipad have already begun to rival that of the original iphone however, only have of the ipad product lineup have even been launched. This may be bigger than we even expected...

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Think about this like Steve Jobs would. There's going to be a release date officially announced after two weeks have passed. Apple allows 14 days for return. They're not going to announce the date until the return period has expired for the hundreds of thousands of units already sold.

They got the people who wanted only the wifi, the people on the fence and the people too impatient to wait and had to be "part of it" on release day.

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
That and wanting to meet the supply and demand of the product. It is very interesting too that the sale of the ipad have already begun to rival that of the original iphone however, only have of the ipad product lineup have even been launched. This may be bigger than we even expected...

It makes sense that it would sell more because the market for the Wifi Only iPad is bigger, because there is no contract. Anyone can buy one and use it...not just those that want to, or that can, sign contracts with AT&T.

As far as the 3G goes, it's the FCC approval that's holding it up but I wouldn't say it that way. Instead, I would say the Wifi Only was released early.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It's likely due to AT&T's network not being able to handle a few more hundred thousand streaming data on their network. They need some extra time not to be ready. And, it offers another wave of hype a few weeks down the line (after all initial hype has died).

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I tend to believe Apple knew more people wanted the 3G version but that they would still buy the WiFi version, just to be able to have it now. Then later they would purchase the 3G version when it came out.

It's a selling strategy by Apple to get more of our money. Release devices with just enough tech to get our interest, yet withhold tech they could have put in now. That way they can pull us in to spend more money later. For example, take a look at the iPhone. It was practically a standard that cell phones came with video recording capability and a higher res still camera, yet Apple held off until the iPhone 3Gs was released. The majority of people upgraded, even paying AT&T to break their contract and start a new one.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
It makes sense that it would sell more because the market for the Wifi Only iPad is bigger, because there is no contract. Anyone can buy one and use it...not just those that want to, or that can, sign contracts with AT&T.

As far as the 3G goes, it's the FCC approval that's holding it up but I wouldn't say it that way. Instead, I would say the Wifi Only was released early.

Contract? What contract?

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I think they'll announce the iPad 3G ship date at the Thursday event. That would make sense and be typical Apple to give an iPad "update" at the start of the keynote.

Nash Bridges

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
San Francisco
Did it really matter? Why not just hold off on releasing the WiFi only version until the 3G was ready? They are having production problems in China.

700K units were shipped in March and 1 Million will be shipped this month. What is in the pipeline after that is anyone's guess.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I think they'll announce the iPad 3G ship date at the Thursday event. That would make sense and be typical Apple to give an iPad "update" at the start of the keynote.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Incould see them startingnthe keynote with a sales figure update and a 3G ship date update.

blokey

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
I imagine it's just a production issue. Apple had to delay the WiFi version and the pre-ordered devices aren't all shipped yet. With the WiFi and 3G versions being almost identical I would imagine they go through the same manufacturer. If there are constraints Apple probably put all of their efforts in to getting the WiFi version out in numbers since it takes less time to produce than the 3G model.

wombat888

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Conspiracy theories are unnecessary. It's a more complex device to design and build, and they were a cycle behind the wifi version. Should they have held the wifi version artificially to release them at the same time in late April? The staggered release has pros and cons for Apple. I doubt they minded much, but I also doubt they set out to achieve it.

Xybr

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2006
Is it possible that the 3G iPad will ship with OS 4? Probably not, but one can hope.

I doubt it. iPhone OS 4.0 will launch alongside the next iteration of the iPhone in June/July. iPad 3G will likely ship with OS 3.2. Since OS 3.2 didn't go live until the iPad released, there may be a software switch that looks at the hardware to determine whether or not to show the 3G options.

I played with an iPad at a nearby Apple Store, very impressive. I have an iPad 3G pre-ordered online, but after seeing plenty of iPad Wi-Fi stock near closing, I'd rather pick up the iPad at the store. Hopefully, Apple will mention the iPad 3G release on Thursday. They should know by then.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Why not just hold off on releasing the WiFi only version until the 3G was ready?
Because as I previously stated, it is a selling strategy by Apple. Rather than doing without on the release day, those that wanted the 3G version would get caught up in the hype and end up getting the WiFi iPad instead. Then when the 3G version is out they can sell their WiFi iPad (taking a loss), to buy it.

Apple is good at selling products this way. The hype ensures ensures they will get your money over and over again, sooner than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products, just not how they do business. And I never buy their first product releases.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Is it possible that the 3G iPad will ship with OS 4? Probably not, but one can hope.

I heard a rumor that only the 3G iPad will be able to run iPhone OS 4. There are some sort of hardware limitations with the WiFi-only iPad that prevent it from running the next OS. This is, apparently, the reason that delayed the release of the 3G iPad. To fix the hardware issues.

Mark

I kid... I kid! :D

Moose408

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
It is delayed because of FCC certification.

This according to Apple employees who work on the iPhone/iPad OS team.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Because as I previously stated, it is a selling strategy by Apple. Rather than doing without on the release day, those that wanted the 3G version would get caught up in the hype and end up getting the WiFi iPad instead. Then when the 3G version is out they can sell their WiFi iPad (taking a loss), to buy it.

Apple is good at selling products this way. The hype ensures ensures they will get your money over and over again, sooner than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple products, just not how they do business. And I never buy their first product releases.

Sure there are going to be those who buy the wifi and then sell at a loss to purchase the 3G when it is released. Sure, Apple has a world class marketing department. I think the reason you state, however, is ancillary at best.

The 3G device is more complicated, probably needs additional certifications, and is dependent on a 3rd party partner.

At the release, there was supposed to be worldwide release of the wifi model at the end of March. We aren't even close to that, so there are probably some production issues - whether technical or not keeping up with demand.

The argument you make is probably shared by those who think Apple marketing is this completely cynical, monolithic, and omnipotent force that is intentionally hosing customers on the price of the 3G unit.

Honestly I think a lot of people are drawn to the $499-$599 price point. If Apple wanted to maximize things from a sales and marketing perspective, why didn't they release the 3G first, knowing that people would spend an additional $130 just to have it early?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
The 3G device is more complicated, probably needs additional certifications, and is dependent on a 3rd party partner.
If that were truly the case, then why not just delay the release? Clearly Apple is capitalizing on an opportunity to get more funds from consumers. They have a track record of doing just that!

Obviously people are drawn to the lower price point than a higher one. So if I'm at the Apple store on release day and I can pay less for a WiFi iPad now, instead of waiting for my 3G to arrive....I just might take the plunge. Think about it, everyone else is getting to play with their new toy and I would have to wait, of course I'm going to spend the $499 now. I will give Apple high marks for being a genius at marketing tactics. They do know how to get money from consumers during the worse recession in our history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.