Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I mean when they introduced the lightning cable for the iPhone, they said it was completely necessary to make devices smaller. They kept toting the fact that the iPhone is so much thinner now since the introduction of the lightning cable.

Now I'm not completely savy with all the internal components, but can someone with a bit more knowledge on the matter explain why the iPad didn't trim down some of the baby fat?

Would love to hear your thoughts besides the obvious argument that it is to milk more money and make it thinner in the iPad 5. If that is the case, that really sucks. I've always loved this company, but it just seems like need to screw us over keeps getting worse.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The ipad 4 was not a full re-design so the extra space was not really needed in this case, but given that they were updating it anyways, it only makes sense that it uses the newest cable.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I mean when they introduced the lightning cable for the iPhone, they said it was completely necessary to make devices smaller. They kept toting the fact that the iPhone is so much thinner now since the introduction of the lightning cable.

Now I'm not completely savy with all the internal components, but can someone with a bit more knowledge on the matter explain why the iPad didn't trim down some of the baby fat?

Would love to hear your thoughts besides the obvious argument that it is to milk more money and make it thinner in the iPad 5. If that is the case, that really sucks. I've always loved this company, but it just seems like need to screw us over keeps getting worse.
The iPhone is smaller than the iPad.

Space for circuits, battery, etc is at more of a premium.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV

It's a band aid to move the entire product line to the lightning interface. The iPad 5 will be a complete thinner redesign along the lines of the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
It's a band aid to move the entire product line to the lightning interface. The iPad 5 will be a complete thinner redesign along the lines of the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini.

Bingo. Agreed. The iPad 4 was clearly a transition product. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the iPad 5 reduce thickness to equal or even thinner than the iPad 2.

abstern

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Washington, DC
iFixit did a teardown of it, and while the lightning connector leaves some space, there wasn't much free space internally. You still need a big battery to run that screen for 10 hours.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It's another interim short term product that is a placeholder until they make a true successor to the iPad 2 in both specs and design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.