Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waring192

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2012
UK
As above, I thought it the past the iPhone number was over two years and in the second year it was just a S model comes out?

How come its not following the pattern like as before where the iPhone 8 would come out in Summer 2018?

Sorry if I'm wrong in advance!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As above, I thought it the past the iPhone number was over two years and in the second year it was just a S model comes out?

How come its not following the pattern like as before where the iPhone 8 would come out in Summer 2018?

The iPhone releases on an annual basis and has for years now in September. The rumors this year are having two models release, and "iPhone 7S" and an "iPhone 8" which would be the rumored 5.80 OLED model.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

The better question is why didn't Apple change the physical design of the phone with the 7?

The 4 is different from the 3GS, the 5 is different from the 4s, the 6 is different from the 5s, the 7? Not different from the 6s.

So, if Apple can change up when they make physical changes, they can also change up the numbering.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It's unknown whether this year's flagship model will actually be called the "iPhone 8", but rumours and leaks suggest that there will be a redesigned model (whereas 's' models keep the design of the previous model) because, firstly, this is the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone so people are anticipating something big, and second, the 6, 6s, and 7 all use the same design and many people feel that the iPhone brand is stagnating. Releasing a nearly identical flagship model for the 4th year in a row probably won't be good for sales.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The better question is why didn't Apple change the physical design of the phone with the 7?

The 4 is different from the 3GS, the 5 is different from the 4s, the 6 is different from the 5s, the 7?

So, if Apple can change up when they make physical changes, they can also change up the numbering.

Disagree. Because there shouldn't be an expectation the iPhone design has to change year over year. Furthermore it's not logical for Apple to change the iPhone design on an annual basis, which they know will generate revenue using similar components . Which is maybe why they used the iPhone 7 model another year, because more drastic changes coincide With an overhauled design. Just because Apple didn't take the same approach as they did with the iPhone 4 from the 3GS, from the 4s to the 5, why should they follow the same pattern every year? When you factor Enough technological advances, the iPhone usually changes in form along with those advances, similarly what's intended for this year.

Look at the broader spectrum, Apple doesn't physically make overhauled changes to their hardware lineup every 18 months or so. Most of their hardware resembles earlier models, its just a lot thinner. For example, The iPads are primarily the same as they've always been from There origin, they're primarily just thinner and other minor hardware tweaks.

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands

The 4 is different from the 3GS, the 5 is different from the 4s, the 6 is different from the 5s, the 7? Not different from the 6s.

My own theory is that the iPhone 7 was a fallback, a plan B if you will, because the iPhone 8 was not ready yet for whatever reason.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

While the iPhone 7 did indeed look very dated for late 2016, it didn't look all that different than the Android flagship competition of 2016. This year the move to bezel-less design makes the G6 and S8 look wildly different and more fresh compared to the current iPhone's. So in typical Apple fashion they arrive to the party a little late. Only thing in question at this point is how much it will cost to get that redesigned iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Disagree. Because there shouldn't be an expectation the iPhone design has to change year over year. Furthermore it's not logical for Apple to change the iPhone design on an annual basis, which they know will generate revenue using similar components . Which is maybe why they used the iPhone 7 model another year, because more drastic changes coincide With an overhauled design. Just because Apple didn't take the same approach as they did with the iPhone 4 from the 3GS, from the 4s to the 5, why should they follow the same pattern every year? When you factor Enough technological advances, the iPhone usually changes in form along with those advances, similarly what's intended for this year.

Look at the broader spectrum, Apple doesn't physically make overhauled changes to their hardware lineup every 18 months or so. Most of their hardware resembles earlier models, its just a lot thinner. For example, The iPads are primarily the same as they've always been from There origin, they're primarily just thinner and other minor hardware tweaks.
When I bought into the Apple mindset on phones in 2012 they had an established pattern I assumed they would continue to follow.

With some minor deviations they pretty much did that up untl the 7/7+.

So that's where my expectation came from and why I have it.

I agree that it's not logical that Apple change the physical design on an annual basis. But we were seeing a design change on a semi-annual basis and because of that my expectation was that the design of the 7 would change. It didn't, and now the argument is that the 7s/7s+ or whatever it will be called shouldn't change much in look.

Collectively then, if it does not, that will be six versions of the iPhone 6/6+. Other than minor camera bump changes and the removal of antenna lines and some new colors it looks the same.

If Apple were a car manufacturer they'd be doing exactly as expected.

But of course, they can do as they wish. No one is forcing me to buy their devices.
[doublepost=1500134907][/doublepost]
My own theory is that the iPhone 7 was a fallback, a plan B if you will, because the iPhone 8 was not ready yet for whatever reason.
That's a good theory. I like that!

Reactions: Sunny1990

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
There will be no 'iPhone 8'. The premium iPhone will receive a new marketing term following iPhone, to draw attention to major changes to that version. You can think of it like the marketing term given to MacBook Air and iPad Air. It's simple marketing. You find a name that is short, simple, and yet appealing and provokes curiosity.

So expect iPhone ______ something.

Pro and Edition are not it. Both are terrible marketing for an iPhone especially with major design changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.