Why is the iPhone a fixed price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by a456, Mar 26, 2008.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

In the UK O2 sell iPod Touch cheaper than the Apple Store, as do Amazon and many other places - you can save about £30 off the top model. However, O2 and the Carphone Warehouse have no such discount on the iPhone.

Now, Apple fans without price motivations to go elsewhere I think will probably buy from Apple, and others too that want good tech support and advice will likewise choose Apple. Since O2 might not always be the service provider, but Apple will always be the producer of the iPhone.

Now might this be the reason that O2 and Carphone Warehouse do not advertise the iPhone prominently online or in their store windows? Or is it pressure from other phone makers disgruntled at the iPhone success that are putting pressure on them not to make such a big deal of the iPhone? Either way I see no reason for Apple to keep up the exclusive deals with these providers now the iPhone concept has been proved.

I'd be over the moon at a Virgin PAYG contract for the iPhone.

2. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Because Apple wont let them.

They actually did - there was a lot of heavy advertising in November to February - but it's yesterday's product now and other units sell better.

Such is business.

Utter nonsense. The iPhone didn't sell as well as expected in Europe. Other phones did and new units are constantly released so pitch space is at a premium and you go for what sells best and makes you most money.

Aside form the five year lock in agreements you mean?

Unlikely given Apple's revenue strategy.