Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't agree at all. My Note 2 is as smooth as, if not smoother, than my iPhone or iPad (when they are first rebooted). Plus, my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 lag plenty of times. Not indiscernible lags: noticeable. Heck the Huffington Post app on my iPad crashes every single day (right after slowing to a crawl).

Even moving around home screens on my Note 2 is smoother than on my iPhone/iPad. This is with many more icons per screen, a 3D transition between screens, a weather widget on the main page, and live wallpaper. Super fast.

As for vertical scrolling.... Note 2 seems to go faster and I can move further in one swipe. I find myself doing less "flicking" like I do on iOS.

But really this is all silly to be debating: they are both "smooth enough" as to it not be an issue. If Android did not get to this point--and they have--there is zero chance I would be using it.

Michael

I agree it's a silly debate - each person can come up with some anecdotal evidence that says "My iPhone crashes 78 times a day and I've never had my Note 2 crash".....the REALITY is....

(http://www2.crittercism.com/l/13682/2013-02-05/5hv6d)
iOS 6 = 1.15% app crashes
JB 4.2 = 1.5% app crashes

In the end, neither the smoothness, nor the crashing apps are what cause me to prefer iOS. Both OSes are mature to the point that app crashes will happen about as minimally as they can and the difference in smoothness - unless put side-by-side - is unnoticeable.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I don't agree at all. My Note 2 is as smooth as, if not smoother, than my iPhone or iPad (when they are first rebooted). Plus, my iPhone 4S and iPad 3 lag plenty of times. Not indiscernible lags: noticeable. Heck the Huffington Post app on my iPad crashes every single day (right after slowing to a crawl).

Even moving around home screens on my Note 2 is smoother than on my iPhone/iPad. This is with many more icons per screen, a 3D transition between screens, a weather widget on the main page, and live wallpaper. Super fast.

As for vertical scrolling.... Note 2 seems to go faster and I can move further in one swipe. I find myself doing less "flicking" like I do on iOS.

But really this is all silly to be debating: they are both "smooth enough" as to it not be an issue. If Android did not get to this point--and they have--there is zero chance I would be using it.

Michael

Wow, this post is really something.
If you don't like how you have to "flick" all the time when you're scrolling on iOS, please use a cydia tweak to change the "flicking" algorithm.

I have an iPad 4, and it's almost the same as an iPad 3, and I rarely ever get any lag, it's pretty rare for me to get annoyed with it, as it is one of the, if not the, smoothest device I've ever owned.

I don't really browse the web on my iPhone 4 anymore, however I do use a wide plethora of various resource intensive apps, and I rarely delete things from multitasking, my days are just to busy, when I'm rearranging my home screen, I never get lag, when I'm using any of my apps, I rarely EVER get lag, and if I do, I'm probably hurriedly hammering the screen because I'm in a rush. In short, I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound. :(

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you don't like how you have to "flick" all the time when you're scrolling on iOS, please use a cydia tweak to change the "flicking" algorithm.

Sweet, is this in the App Store, or do you have to jailbreak to get rid of the iOS annoyance?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Sweet, is this in the App Store, or do you have to jailbreak to get rid of the iOS annoyance?

Apple have never allowed OS alterations to enter the App Store, you do however, have to jailbreak the device. I've seen the tweak on many "top tweaks" videos, but can't for the life of me remember what it's called. D:<

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Chrome has scroll indicator and that page, once loaded, doesn't go blank when scrolling with a Nexus 4.

By the way, can you show how to scroll from the beginning to the end in 5 seconds?

You scroll fast by repeatedly flicking fast -- things accelerate greatly as you continue flicking fast -- only takes a slight bit of coordination.

Fast scrolling is where the screen goes blank on the Nexus 4. cynics reported it too.

Chrome has been open on that page since I tried it this morning -- still no scroll indicator here.

Has anyone been able to come up with a time for scrolling through that page with Chrome on a device similar to the N4?

Edit: Thanks cynics for confirming the 5 second claim. I'm gad I didn't have to do a video. :eek:)

Last edited:

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I actually signed up to the forum because I saw this question, and felt I just have to include my OPINION:

In all honesty, I use to be an Apple lover, but at this point, I cannot find a better way to answer your question than this:

iPhones are good for non-computer literate people, like children, or older adults, and tweens. It's the phone I recommend to anyone in those groups, and they are always extremely happy with their choice. This is because iPhones are intentionally limited in what they can do. When computer-friendly people use iPhones they often come to me asking how to do things, and my most common response is: "darn, see that's so easy to do on Android" (think of opengarden, notifications (now copied by iOS) and the ability to choose default program (such as a browser)) These are "intuitive" things that iOS users would love, but Apple knows that it's too complicated for the age groups I mentioned above to understand those things, so they don't let you do it because i uses more processor, which uses more battery (which cannot be changed). This adding up?

Androids are good for computer literate people, like most of us here on the forums. I have countless friends who, like me, used to love iPhones, but after trying the latest Android phones, we actually feel stupid for touting the superiority of iPhones so ignorantly. I cannot believe just how awesome Android is, not to mention the open-source nature of it all. I haven't seen any real improvements to iOS, except for the 4" screen, which is 2 years behind the game anyways. (again, because of the battery issues)

It took me a long time to accept it, but those are the key differences when you break it all down.

In the end, you should identify your needs, talk to users of both phones, test some out, and in the end, get an Android ;) Unless, of course, you hate choosing what you wear in the morning and prefer to be told what to do. Some people are into that :p and they should get iPhones.

That's the most honest post I've seen.

That reply just wreaks with truth.

You want basic phone with limited capabilities or just a status symbol get an iphone

You want a powerful phone with max capabilities get a high end android.

Thread over.

----------

Just curious on what you guys think...

It isn't

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That's the most honest post I've seen.

That reply just wreaks with truth.

You want basic phone with limited capabilities or just a status symbol get an iphone

You want a powerful phone with max capabilities get a high end android.

Thread over

By basic do you mean a phone that can run a business, shoot an Oscar winning documentary or run countless millions of people's everyday lives?

While I agree with his conclusion - your's wreaks of Android elitism. The difference between the two isn't basic vs. advanced - I'd argue a lot of what iOS does behind the scenes is more advanced than Android.

The difference is what is at the center of each - iOS = apps, Android = OS/Customization. There are pluses and minuses for each and one isn't better than the other for everyone.

Android works best for YOU. iOS works best for the OP.

Thread over.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I think I'm a grown enough adult to make decisions about my preferences, give an unbiased opinion to people indecisive about it and what's more is, enjoy the best of both worlds.

I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad 4 and a Nexus 7 3G on the way. (Doesn't fit in my sig)

The iPad Mini doesn't fit in my front pocket.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm actually trying to not be ignorant ... how about you? I happen to find it funny that someone might confuse any sort of scrolling through a webpage as being productive.

When I think of bing productive, I think of doing some work in an app such as Pages. When I open a document in Pages that's a few hundred pages long, I can scroll through it in seconds. My productivity is in no way slowed down by any sort of scrolling problems -- yet you're here in the internet claiming the opposite for some reason. What do you think might prompt this strange behavior on your part?

So you want to define "productive" selectively based on your definition/workflow? :p

Then how about this? You are at a post in this forum with a really long quoted text. On S3 I just do one long flick and I scrolled past the quoted text whereas for Iphone I need to do something like 4-5 flicks. So let me ask you. If you can finish a task in half the time than the next person, are you 50% more "productive"? So in this scenario (i.e. task of scrolling past the quoted text), am I right to say S3 is 400-500% more "productive" than Iphone. :p

I've been doing just that. Here's a nice long webpage:http://www.edge.org/responses/q2013
In PDF form, that's over 300 pages -- it's a webpage that's basically a book.

I have that page loaded on a Nexus 4, and a iPod Touch 5 right now. I can scroll through it in about 5 seconds on my iPod. How long does it take to scroll all the way through on the Nexus? ... that would be very difficult to say.

When I fast scroll for 5 seconds on the Nexus, the screen soon goes completely blank, and you sit there for several seconds looking at a white screen waiting for any text to reappear. When the text does reappear, I'm not to the end of the page. How far did I get? ... mighty tough to say without any scroll indicator in Chrome.

I've lost interest in trying to find the scroll time on the N4 -- it's too much of a pain. When I want to try the test again in Safari, I just tap the top of the screen, and I'm instantly at the top of the page. I Chrome on the N4, you have to trudge back up through the whiteout conditions to get to the top. Perhaps someone else can try and come up with a total scroll time for this.

Well maybe you should go and download a better pdf viewer for your nexus then maybe you will not have the blank screen. Fact remains that it is still slow scrolling speed on Iphone.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Fast scrolling is where the screen goes blank on the Nexus 4. cynics reported it too.

No blank page here even going from the top to the end

Chrome has been open on that page since I tried it this morning -- still no scroll indicator here.

The scroll indicator appears when you scroll.

Has anyone been able to come up with a time for scrolling through that page with Chrome on a device similar to the N4?

20 seconds.

And it has nothing to to with smoothness, it has to dow how the gui works on both platforms, when you scroll on iOS the page is not rerendered and the touch input takes ALL the precedence. On Android the pages are not static and the touch

----------

I don't think I'm the only one that likes both iOS and Android. :confused:

I like some things from both

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
By basic do you mean a phone that can run a business, shoot an Oscar winning documentary or run countless millions of people's everyday lives?

While I agree with his conclusion - your's wreaks of Android elitism. The difference between the two isn't basic vs. advanced - I'd argue a lot of what iOS does behind the scenes is more advanced than Android.

The difference is what is at the center of each - iOS = apps, Android = OS/Customization. There are pluses and minuses for each and one isn't better than the other for everyone.

Android works best for YOU. iOS works best for the OP.

Thread over.

I managed a business for years with a Nextel. And while I still use a work provided iPhone for work I had to buy a device with a more powerful email system. That is when I bought my first Android product for the ability to have a fully function email system in a portable device.

I find the iPhone excels at social networking. IMessage, Facetime, shared photo stream, I even prefer Facebook, instagram, etc on iOS. But for work I need more...

Oscar winning documentary? Does that come up a lot? Very very good documentaries have been shot with near disposable video cameras. I'd even say an iPhone is too advanced for that task lol....

I totally agree with you when you say its whatever works best for you that doesn't mean his post wreaks of "elitism".

If all I did was do social networking on my iphone I'd say its the most advanced. But its not and due to some features being too basic I needed something more advance. But maybe if my main use was shooting Oscar winning documentaries on a smartphone then maybe I'd feel different. :)

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
So you want to define "productive" selectively based on your definition/workflow? :p

Then how about this? You are at a post in this forum with a really long quoted text. On S3 I just do one long flick and I scrolled past the quoted text whereas for Iphone I need to do something like 4-5 flicks. So let me ask you. If you can finish a task in half the time than the next person, are you 50% more "productive"? So in this scenario (i.e. task of scrolling past the quoted text), am I right to say S3 is 400-500% more "productive" than Iphone. :p

Well maybe you should go and download a better pdf viewer for your nexus then maybe you will not have the blank screen. Fact remains that it is still slow scrolling speed on Iphone.

Try rereading what you're attempting to comment on. (perhaps it you could more carefully control your scrolling, your comprehension might go up :D)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I managed a business for years with a Nextel. And while I still use a work provided iPhone for work I had to buy a device with a more powerful email system. That is when I bought my first Android product for the ability to have a fully function email system in a portable device.

I find the iPhone excels at social networking. IMessage, Facetime, shared photo stream, I even prefer Facebook, instagram, etc on iOS. But for work I need more...

Oscar winning documentary? Does that come up a lot? Very very good documentaries have been shot with near disposable video cameras. I'd even say an iPhone is too advanced for that task lol....

I totally agree with you when you say its whatever works best for you that doesn't mean his post wreaks of "elitism".

If all I did was do social networking on my iphone I'd say its the most advanced. But its not and due to some features being too basic I needed something more advance. But maybe if my main use was shooting Oscar winning documentaries on a smartphone then maybe I'd feel different. :)

My point in my post is this....

There is a heavy double standard that goes on in these forums - being someone who prefers iOS, the only things I'm allowed to say (unless I want to bring the wrath of God down on me) is that iOS is old and stale and that Android is way better. I'm not a "true" Apple fan if I'm not criticizing them for their shortcomings. On the other hand, the second I say one thing negative about Android, I'm a "fanboy" and biased towards Apple and my points are immediately dismissed.

While I'm not lumping everyone in this community - there are some people who genuinely want to have an intelligent discussion - I find the lack of logical thought and prevalence of blind bias to be quite annoying. I post to and read these forums because I am genuinely interested in technology and I happen to be a fan of iOS - it simply is a better fit for my needs. I have been spending quite a bit more time in the "alternatives" section because I like to learn and discuss....and because I use both iOS and Android and sometimes have questions.

Now I can admit the shortcomings of my iOS device - lack of setting defaults, attaching multiple PDFs isn't inherently easy, playing with certain file formats doesn't work - but to say the phone is not an advanced piece of technology because it has some issues is absurd. My problem lies with the people who can't admit the shortcomings of Android (which there are plenty) - and instead paint the picture of some ultra-advanced super OS that can do no wrong and never has an issue......

I want to stop this "my phone is better than your phone" argument. I want to be able to honestly discuss the issues we face with our smartphones and what we want to see get better. And I want to do all of this from the understanding that both iOS and Android are extremely good at what they do and are wildly popular and appealing. That each has a different philosophy behind it and neither is better than the other overall - simply a preference for each individual to decide.

Because iOS doesn't fit you needs, doesn't mean it isn't an advanced OS. You think Google Now is some amazing product - that your phone can simply tell you things about your life without any input. That's great for you. I personally would rather save the battery life since without rationing, my Nexus 4 has trouble making it through a day. Some say being able to manipulate the file system or customize every inch of the OS is advanced - I say having all of that work seamlessly behind the scenes without any input from me is advanced....

Sorry for the novel - I'm seriously thinking there aren't enough critical thinkers on this forum and that I waste my time way too much on here. I'd love to get into REAL discussions over the two platforms, but 9 times out of 10, my generally well-thought out arguments are met with "Well can you access the file system on your iPhone? Didn't think so, Android wins"......

Having said all this - genuine question: What email app do you use that doesn't automatically zoom in on the message causing me to scroll to see the whole thing? I find the stock apps and K-9 do this and wonder what you mean by a "fully functioning email system".

Last edited:

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
No blank page here even going from the top to the end

The scroll indicator appears when you scroll.

20 seconds.

And it has nothing to to with smoothness, it has to dow how the gui works on both platforms, when you scroll on iOS the page is not rerendered and the touch input takes ALL the precedence. On Android the pages are not static and the touch

----------

I like some things from both

I think the question is: seeing as I get a blank screen on fast scrolling on one device, and cynics reported experiencing it on two devices, why are you reporting different results on yours?

I'm using a 16Gb Nexus 4 (mostly empty) that's all up to date software wise (a new version of chrome magically showed up -- almost as if delivered by unicorn :p). I did a restart, no other apps are open, only one tab in Chrome, and still I get the blanking out screen and no scroll indicator.

If I scrolled slow enough to keep the text visible, I don't know how long it would take to complete - I'm not willing to invest that much time in it.

If I fast scroll (to a blank screen, and no indication of where I am) for 20 seconds, the best I've done is halfway through. It's possible that I might be able to do it a bit faster, but with virtually no feedback from the blank screen, how can you tell how you're doing? The only way I have to see how fare I've gotten, is to wait for the screen to reappear, and see what Author I'm on, and then manually check that against another document - again, not something I want to invest any more time in.

I've also tried downloading this page into word processors on both my N4 and iPod. In Pages on the iPod, I can fast scroll through the document at least as as I could in Safari - the only difference being Pages goes to checkerboard during fast scrolling, which is not a problem because all you really need is a position indicator at that speed .. and Pages has one.

On the Nexus, things are worse that they were in Chrome. I only have two word processors available - Kingsoft Office, and QuickOffice - neither of which support anything you could call quick scrolling -- the scrolling is neither quick, nor at all smooth. Yes, I know the difference between quick and smooth, which was my only other comment in this thread besides reporting on some weather apps that I was happy to see had become available. I haven't even read thigh this thread, so don't associate my participation with the title.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You find the word flick so amusing you need to quote it? :cool:

I guess I could always go back to using an iPhone. Well, maybe just for half the year--you know, when a jailbreak is out.

Michael

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
You find the word flick so amusing you need to quote it? :cool:

I guess I could always go back to using an iPhone. Well, maybe just for half the year--you know, when a jailbreak is out.

Michael

I often find words a hilarity. :rolleyes:
You could go back to using an iPhone, as a jailbreak is always out, just not for the latest update. I can't actually think of anything that 6.1 would add for my Jailbroken iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 :/

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I will try to record a video.

Is there anything you can think of about your device that could cause different results?
Are there any word processors on Android I could try that offer rapid scrolling?

I know there are plenty of folks out there with Nexus 4's. It's not difficult to try this.
Why the silence?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think the question is: seeing as I get a blank screen on fast scrolling on one device, and cynics reported experiencing it on two devices, why are you reporting different results on yours?
I get no blank screen scrolling that mega page on my Note 2.

Also, the scroll indicator is there in Chrome. That page is about the worst one for the indicator because it is so long. The indicator gets shorter the longer the page is--to give you an idea of how long the page is and where you are in it. But on this page, since it is soooooo long, the indicator ends up very short. Regardless, you can see the indicator circled in red in the image I have attached. The horizontal indicator is shown at the bottom.

attachment.php

Michael

Attachments

• screenshot (2).jpg
    screenshot (2).jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 196

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I get no blank screen scrolling that mega page on my Note 2.

Also, the scroll indicator is there in Chrome. That page is about the worst one for the indicator because it is so long. The indicator gets shorter the longer the page is--to give you an idea of how long the page is and where you are in it. But on this page, since it is soooooo long, the indicator ends up very short. Regardless, you can see the indicator circled in red in the image I have attached. The horizontal indicator is shown at the bottom.

Michael

OK - I can see it now ... but only with extreme effort. On my N4 it couldn't be more than a couple of pixels tall. I can just barely find it when I already know where it should be. Essentially invisible here. The scroll indicator is a visible size on that page in the word processor apps, but the scrolling is atrocious.

Seing as what triggered all this was the claim that iOS can't fast scroll as well as Android (impairing those productive moments of surfing the internet ... :D), are you able to scroll through that page faster then 5 seconds?

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Seing as what triggered all this was the claim that iOS can't fast scroll as well as Android (impairing those productive moments of surfing the internet ... :D), are you able to scroll through that page faster then 5 seconds?
I don't use Chrome, but using the stock Android browser on my Galaxy Nexus, I can scroll through that page in probably about 5 secs.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
OK - I can see it now ... but only with extreme effort. On my N4 it couldn't be more than a couple of pixels tall. I can just barely find it when I already know where it should be. Essentially invisible here. The scroll indicator is a visible size on that page in the word processor apps, but the scrolling is atrocious.

Dolphin browser will do this is less than 5 seconds.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I don't use Chrome, but using the stock Android browser on my Galaxy Nexus, I can scroll through that page in probably about 5 secs.

Interesting that an Anroid device considerably less powerful than the N4 would perform better. The Galaxy Nexus is actually a closer hardware comparison to my iPad Touch than the N4.

I just ran the same test using Firefox on the N4, and still the slower scrolling and blanking out screen. The scroll indicator, while still tiny, is at least in the realm of visible.

This isn't just a issue exclusive to Chrome on the N4.

----------

Dolphin browser will do this is less than 5 seconds.

Wow! Less than 5 seconds! Almost sounds too good to be true.

I'm gonna download Dolphin right now.

Edit:It's downloaded. Scrolls fast when the txtl is far, far too tiny to read. Readable text is much slower with blanking out and breaking up glitchiness.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.