Why Is the Iphone So Hated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goona, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

When you go to other phone forums (Crackberry, Palm, Windows Mobile, etc), they spend half their time hating on the iphone, why? :confused:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just like how people hate the yankees lol

though that hate is deserved haha

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Envy (a sin, and also a model of a competing phone).

Mostly it is because Apple has around 90% of the mp3 player market, and they're threatened by the exact same thing happening to their market.

4. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Because obviously, it's a big enough contender/competitor to get noticed by every other cel-phone enthusiast.

It's a compliment

5. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

+1, Red Sox ftw@! but you can't please everybody, those who aren't pleased with the iPhone get other phones that fulfill their needs, and in turn i guess they just hate on the iPhone.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Because they know it's better, yet can't admit to it.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

QFT.

Go Bosox!

As far as the O.P., I would hardly call the iPhone hated seeing as it is one of the most popular mobile devices in history, but it definitely does have it's detractors. My theory is that because it is an Apple device- they tend to cause people to draw lines in the sand and the price is high, it's going to cause this love or hate response. People expect, when they spend as much as you have to for an iPhone, that it will do everything you want it to.

The problem is, no device will ever be all things to all people. IMO, the iPhone comes as close as most, but it will never please everyone.

8. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

Reading some of their forums especially Crackberry seems half of the posts especially in the Storm section is dissing the iPhone.

9. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Because they know the iPhone is the best smart phone and, for some reason, they can't have one.

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Jealousy, envy, fear.

11. OriginalMasta macrumors member

it's just human nature to be jealous, envious, and out right egotistical.

When you drive a corvette, you see someone driving a nissan GTR, you immediately think why pay $80k marked up for something you can get out of a corvette for $20k less! And outperform it?

Same thing for people who own windows mobile devices. They don't know what's better unless they extensively use an iPhone. I was a heavy win mo user since 5.0 days. My last device was a HTC Tilt. That was a nightmare.

You see a ferrari F430 convertible and you think why pay $200k for that car when I can get a chrysler sebring convertible for so much less and look good in it too?! That's like windows mobile users complaining about iPhone's "esthetics" vs. performance/value.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

When there are blind lovers, there are blind haters.

I would not replace my iPhone but for another newer iPhone version.

I hate to hate.

13. Skystar macrumors 6502

I think there are only two types of people in this world: Those who wish they had an iPhone, and those who lie. ;)

I'd be willing to bet that over 80% of those same users bashing the iphone will be picking one up in the near future.

14. sd2009 macrumors 6502

Because its cool to hate Apple products without actually trying them. They used to make jokes about my iPhone at work last year when they all had WinMo phones.
    I had a lot of laughs when their phones would always freeze ;)

15. iMule macrumors 6502

Because Apple came out of nowhere with an unforseen type of technology for a phone and rocked the world with it. It's untouchable, figuratively speaking.

16. nicheco macrumors member

i have a buddy who works at verizon. blah blah no 3g. blah blah no gps. then there became nothing to make excuses with, and he was first in line at 4 am.

17. randomusername macrumors 6502

I'm not gonna be a fanboy here and say "Because the iPhone is the bestest phone ever and they know it but won't admit it!"

I do agree that it is partly out of jealousy as it is appealing and everyone wants it but the haters don't.

But some people have used the phone and genuinely hate it. If you want a phone that does one specific thing and it's not available on that device you might hate it. Or you might have had a poor experience with the phone (glitches, hardware failures).

And I believe that the biggest reason is to be different. Just like how some people love everything Apple does with no thought because they think it's cool, some hate everything Apple does just because they think it's uncool. There's a point where things become popular enough that people get sick of that and automatically hate it. Some do this just to be different from the many biased Apple fans.

18. D-Jam macrumors member

The only haters I get a royal kick out of are the ones who feel like that by buying an iPhone you're supporting some "evil empire" or these "staying off the grid" paranoid folk.

Give me a break. Go buy then a smaller company smartphone and then complain to death why you can't have as much as an iPhone.

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah... one of my dad's friends who works for AT&T and one of my family friends (who also work at the retail store) absolutely HATE the iPhone.

they say it's terrible. i don't get it. they say it's more of a toy than anything... that may be so. but if it is.... it's the most productive toy i've ever owned.

20. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Yeah, I spend a fair amount of time in the Storm's Rants and Raves section on CB. I have a Storm (yeah, sucks to be me) for work use.

The 3.0 announcement really got peoples panties in a bunch over there! Their old arguments of no copy/paste, MMS, email search, BT, etc., has now been reduced to no video, and AT&T. Can't argue much with the AT&T point as I generally agree. :eek:

Many of the BB fanbois love to call it iToy, or just a toy period. :rolleyes:

21. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I don't have an iPhone but I have played with the SDK, made some apps in the simulator and watched with interest the coverage. Here are seven things which bug me:

[1] Criticism of the iPhone for not being perfect and not having every feature under the sun, without acknowledging that neither is any other phone perfect nor does any other phone has every feature possible. And some of them offer … gasp … far less than the iPhone.

[2] Making comparisons based on feature checklists rather than how well said features are implemented and how practical to use. This happens with a lot of Apple's products.

[4] Assuming that every “iPhone killer” (Pre/Storm/Nwhatever-number-we're-up-to) from day one will hit the ground running with 100% of the iPhone functionality working flawlessly and just improve on it from there. In reality they'll all come with there own irritating drawbacks and compromises.

[5] Failing to account that for each of the hurdles Apple has had to face (some obvious, like app approval process, security, push, some that I probably wouldn't even consider) they have also been able to learn valuable lessons from these and build up experience. The idea that Microsoft or anyone else will walk in and build an App Store, an iTunes store a MobileMe service, cross platform sync software to support their phone platform without hicups is laughable (nevertheless this is brushed over by much of the analysis).

[6] Comparing current shipping iPhone to rosy eyed visions, blue prints, prototypes and other intangible glimpses of the future from companies that don't have anything valuable or useful to ship in the present day.

[7] Leading nicely on from four… imaging Apple is somehow going to pause, hold back progress or in anyway wait for its competitors to catch up. The message should have sunk in clear yesterday: 100 new features, 1000 new APIs. Apple will continue to try and set the agenda and move at a relentless pace. In other words, the few really useful features missing from the iPhone at present will be implement long before another phone comes close to offering the experience of an iPhone.

So those are my main criticisms of the iPhone critics. I like to read intelligent, well thought out critiques and discussion on all the smart phone platforms. Sadly after reading some of the stuff in Mac Bytes there seems to be a number of journalists guilty of all of the above.

22. Macabron macrumors member

Macabron

I think choice is a wonderful thing, a love my iphone and mexican food, so I guess somewhere someone hates the iphone and can't stand mexican food, or mexicans. ;). My point is not everyone can like the same thing. And I guess those people just get tired of hearing about this phone they don't like. I have never seen a phone OS make the news, right alongside the human looking robot. Symbian? I only knew about it because I was thinking about getting a nokia phone.

23. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

There it is. /thread

;)

24. iNikon macrumors member

It's not the phone they dislike, it's the average iPhone user. And I have to agree, to a point. My friend has an iPhone, and I have a G1. They both work fine, but it's his insistence that the iPhone is so much better constantly that irks me. Hard to believe, but I prefer the G1. No, I'm not in denial, I actually like the G1 more. Yes, it's true.

This has nothing to do with envy, as the average person can just as easily get an iPhone if they want. I think iPhone users tend to be like Mac users - they think they own the best and feel the need to constantly remind others of that. I will admit, I find all the threads here on iPhone exchanges funny. It seems the norm here to say, "I'm on my fourth iPhone now because the screen was cracked (or whatever)" without others even questioning it. How awesome.

Sort of similar to the way people here constantly bash Windows computers. Does that mean they are envious of Windows?

25. Goona thread starter macrumors 68020

Goona

The average iphone user is no different from the average user of any other phone. Also a large percentage of iphone users use Windows.