Why is the iPhone still not 100% landscape friendly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanaddic, Aug 7, 2011.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Any idea why the iphone can't be more like the ipad in regard to orientation?

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

The screen isn't large enough. Icons would be tiny and icon labels would be cramped. Common sense.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's all in the developers. Most of the native apps are. It's many 3rd party apps that don't support it. That's on the developer, not Apple.

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

There's a Jailbreak app that does this, but after looking into it, I passed. It scales the horizontal icons to 75% so they even fit. Seemed kind of hokey.

5. Yellowstone2012 macrumors regular

I guess you don't have an iPad....

6. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

My iPhone is jailbroken and my springboard rotates and the apps apple designed work very perfectly as well. I dont see how that's common sense..

Attached Files:

7. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

IMO it's apple's own fault if 3rd party devs dont support it. Apple doesnt even seem to believe in it themselves. They don't support landscape lockscreen, springboard, settings, maps, phone, stores, contacts.. long story short not all apple apps are "Landscapable" and the ones that are (iPod app) don't always take advantage of the extra space. (Althought cover flow is kind of cool and prob a selling point back in 2008 when the iPhone came out does anyone honestly use it?) I would honestly use my phone a lot more in landscape mode, if only apple was a little more supportive im sure the devs would follow.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

The screen is significantly larger than the iPhone.

I understand that, but it obviously doesn't work well enough because Apple would have added it by now. You know how Apple is when it comes to the smoothness of the UI.

9. ad2435 macrumors member

I agree.

10. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Personally, I think any of the apps that go landscape are fine. The rest do not need to be... Do you really need apps such as the Phone app in landscape? I think that when Devs are developing, it is their decision to incorporate the ability to go landscape... It's not Apple's call...

However, they control incoming app requests, and they control on how their default apps work...

As well, I think the iPad has a large enough screen, which iOS can take advantage of and use more landscape apps... It just looks more nicer on the iPad than iPhone. I know you have that picture of your apps turning landscape, but I don't think its practical, especially for most users.

Don't try to fix something that is not broken. If it seems broken, fix it yourself. You obviously did by jailbreaking and tweaking...