Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
This is not a topic to bad mouth the XR. I have one myself and love it. I just don’t get the thickness. It can’t be because it’s an LCD since the older phones were as well and were much thinner.

Have there been tear down videos that show the insides and explain what is happening?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
My first guess is that it’s probably cheaper to manufacture it that way. People will say the bigger battery, but it’s not that big relatively speaking. Maybe they also wanted the thinner phones to feel more premium, who knows with Apple.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Because it has a huge-ass battery and honestly it’s perfect
Big by iPhone standards, but not considering the size of the phone itself. I have a Moto G7 power that’s very close to the XR in size, but manages to fit a 5000mah battery. Apple doesn’t care about power users.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Big by iPhone standards, but not considering the size of the phone itself. I have a Moto G7 power that’s very close to the XR in size, but manages to fit a 5000mah battery. Apple doesn’t care about power users.

It’s a known fact that Android uses more resources than iOS to do the same thing.

Samsung has a phone out with 12GB of RAM. That’s unthinkable, and completely unnecessary, on an iPhone.

Reactions: BritishApple

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It’s a known fact that Android uses more resources than iOS to do the same thing.

Samsung has a phone out with 12GB of RAM. That’s unthinkable, and completely unnecessary, on an iPhone.
The ram is definitely overkill, but Apple have always been stingy with battery size in their phones.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

The Moto G7 Power is 9.3mm thick with no wireless charging. The XR is 8.3mm.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
1mm is minuscule. Apple is holding back.

The Moto G7 Power is over 20% bigger than XR in terms of volume. If you want a bigger battery, it's simply a matter of physics.

If you look at other variants of the Moto G7 family, they all come in at 8.0-8.3mm thick and have a similar 11 Whr battery as iPhone XR.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is not a topic to bad mouth the XR. I have one myself and love it. I just don’t get the thickness. It can’t be because it’s an LCD since the older phones were as well and were much thinner.

Have there been tear down videos that show the insides and explain what is happening?

In comparison, the XR thickness is 8.3 mm and the XS 7.7 mm, yes, the XR is thicker, but honestly from holding it, I don’t feel that it’s ‘substantially’ thicker. To me, I think it’s more of a psychological factor the more you think about the thickness, when the majority likely don’t notice it at all.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
The Moto G7 Power is over 20% bigger than XR in terms of volume. If you want a bigger battery, it's simply a matter of physics.

If you look at other variants of the Moto G7 family, they all come in at 8.0-8.3mm thick and have a similar 11 Whr battery as iPhone XR.
I agree. Apple has never been one to tout its battery life, but the XR was the first time they used it as a real selling point. Every iPhone should have been on the level of the XR, and they could have really gone all out on the XR if its supposed to be some battery beast. It’s solid, but just not as awe inspiring as some people think. If you’re coming from an iPhone 7 with its pitifully small battery I can see how it seems unreal. Apple could have made it a bit thicker and put a 4000mah battery in it and destroyed all the competition when it came to usage and standby. Like I said before, I would replace my 8+ with one if it broke (or if someone wanted to trade), but the main selling point of the XR is battery life and cool colors. I’m just not blown away.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just don’t get the thickness.
And yet not thick enough to eliminate an ugly camera bump.
28251-43636-iphone-xr-hands-on4-l.jpg

Honestly, some people won't be happy until their phone is thinner than Cassandra (Doctor Who)!

1.jpg

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I guess compared to the 6, the XR is thing. But I run a skin on the XR and super thin case. Never noticed it really. The facts it’s cheaper makes me fee ok with having little protection for it.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I think it is because of the LCD as when you think about it there isn't the "bezel space" at the top and the bottom of the phone to fit things such as the camera module.

Bingo. The XR isn't thicker because it has a massive battery. It's thicker than the X/XS models because the LCD display is thicker, as LCDs are by nature (with the backlight, diffusing film layers, etc.), and also because the bezel-less design means the controller hardware needed to be relocated. The offset Lighting port is also the result of the LCD display.

The OLED panels in the X/XS don't require backlights, so they are thinner. Those models also can also get away with sandwiched logic boards (and still end up thinner than the XR) because of this, and reclaim that space for L-shaped batteries.

Reactions: MacLappy

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
It's thick because it's a budget model. The bezels are also fat. How else can sales people convince people to get the XS models? Most people can spot the difference between OLED and LCD anyway.

Did anyone make a comparison bend test between XS and XR? I know the XR is durable as hell. It's basically a brick to beat burglars with.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's thick because it's a budget model.

Incorrect. There’s nothing ‘budget’ about the XR whatsoever. A $750 iPhone is not budget for the majority of consumers, especially in countries where iPhones already priced exorbitantly. What you mean to say, is the XR is Apples entry level iPhone into this new design.

The bezels are also fat. How else can sales people convince people to get the XS models?

Sales associates at retail stores are _not_ selling consumers phones based on thickness. Smart phones sell themselves, the consumer is simply just choosing the color/storage, that’s it. They don’t care about things about Bezel‘s, LCD panels, etc.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Macman845

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2019
The iPhone XR is a lot more thicker when compared to other newer iPhones and that is because iPhone XR has a bigger battery.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The iPhone XR is a lot more thicker when compared to other newer iPhones and that is because iPhone XR has a bigger battery.

I don’t mean a hammer on your post, but it’s not ‘a lot more’ thicker. Even aside from the measurements, when you add a case to a phone, I doubt the user even notices the phone thickness at that point.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
It's thick because it's a budget model. The bezels are also fat. How else can sales people convince people to get the XS models? Most people can spot the difference between OLED and LCD anyway.

Did anyone make a comparison bend test between XS and XR? I know the XR is durable as hell. It's basically a brick to beat burglars with.

The bezels aren’t massively bigger than the XS. I can’t be bothered doing it for you, but go to Apple’s site and get the front on image from the gallery for both devices and zoom in a little on the bezels. The fallacy that the XS and Max are “bezelless” or grossly thinner than those found on the XR is ridiculous.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It's basically 2 index cards thicker. Not exactly obese.
It's also only 17 grams heavier--which is the equivalent of 3 U.S. quarters.

I think you're being a bit dramatic, yeah?

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
It's basically 2 index cards thicker. Not exactly obese.
It's also only 17 grams heavier--which is the equivalent of 3 U.S. quarters.

I think you're being a bit dramatic, yeah?
Yep. Remind me not to post out of boredom when at work ^^

Just for reference, I’m the happy owner of a black XR. No ragrets.

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.