Why is the location based reminder trying to be something else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kappaknight, Oct 26, 2011.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

So I've setup some grocery related reminders for the next time I go to the store. I never told the phone I was going to go today or tomorrow, but whenever I get there. Throughout the week as we use up various things, I would add items to the list.

However, it seems like the system pushes you to finish tasks when they are not completely time related. At around 5PM the day after I set my reminder, it would randomly remind me. The other night at 4:36 in the morning the reminder randomly popped up again - WTH?

Why is the reminder trying to be a timed reminder when it's setup to be a location reminder? Is this a bug with the app or is my GPS coordinates really jumping all the way to the grocery store as it cycles or does whatever it does in the background?

2. wellok macrumors 6502

Are you 100% sure you didn't select both a date AND a location? You can set both so that if you haven't been to that location/left that location by that time, it'll remind you anyway. Make sure you didn't accidentally set anything there. Weird that it's at odd times, though... but that's my only theory because I don't have this problem at all.

3. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah, I'm 100% confident I didn't set the date part of the alert. Of the 8 alerts I've setup, none of them have been date based - yet all of them had the phone nudge me starting a couple of days after I set up the alerts.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I've had good luck with it. Put the location I want to be reminded and I don't here a peep until I get to that location whenever that may be.

5. mnpackerfan macrumors newbie

I wonder if it's an undocumented feature to save battery life? If location services is always on just for the notification, maybe it reminds you after 24-48 hours. Just a guess-could also be a bug. I haven't had the error, but my notifications have always been within the day. I'm really not sure how much battery life it uses if it's constantly searching for where you are, though I tend to think the iPhone does it anyway automatically.