General Why is the location icon always on? How to disable?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by haruhiko, Sep 10, 2014.

1. haruhiko, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

It is driving me insane:mad:

For your quick reference, this solved my problem:

Thanks Sakellaris!

2. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

It could be something in Passbook that is set to Automatic Update or if you use Google Wallet. I had the same thing and it turned out to be both.

3. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Noticed this too, when I was loading apps for the first time after updating to iOS 8 I kept getting a popup asking for permission to allow Background Location Services.

4. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Removed all passes in passbook and stopped everything in multitasking view. The location icon just turned on after installing iOS 8 GM.

----------

I have to disable all location services to stop the icon. Very annoying.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you checked any system services in location services (it's another screen there) that might be using it?

What about background refresh, if you disable that (assuming it's enabled), does that change anything?

6. that be me macrumors 6502

There was a bug in the past betas that caused the apple store app to constantly request location. Not sure if it was squashed or not.

7. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

disabled all background app refresh, tried to turn off location services one app by a time, tried to disable handoff, the location arrow just doesn't go away. I'm so frustrated and disappointed. May well downgrade back to 7.1.2 while I can.

----------

Turned all apps to "Never" in settings. The arrow is still there. :mad: Also system services have been all turned off.

8. CrzyP macrumors regular

9. bighans macrumors newbie

Same here through all the betas this has happened to me. Might try to wireshark it see if its sending any data.

10. Sakellaris macrumors newbie

Sakellaris

Go to Settings --> General -->(down in the bottom) Reset --> Locations (Reset to Default) Voila !!!!

11. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Thanks very much! This solved the problem! Voila! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

And thank you from me, too (from an undisclosed location). :D

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Except that this turns location services off for apps that need it I.e. Google Maps even on the public release. Developers really need to add "while using" to their apps!

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well after you reset you enable the apps you actually want/need to have access to location. Hopefully more and more will add the new options to their apps as they release updates.

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm ok with the apps accessing location when I'm using them. What I don't like is that they access location even when I have them completely closed. It didn't work that way in iOS 7 or prior. Hopefully developers update. If not, then goodbye decent battery life on my iPhone 5.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as I know they work the same way in that respect as they did in iOS 7. There's just an additional option that can restrict some apps to only use location while you are in those apps, but the fact that the always option is used for other apps (which is the same as simply the enabled option in iOS 7 as you only had on or off there) doesn't mean they actually use location in the background without your control, most don't, and those that do you can still control that generally speaking, same as you did in iOS 7.

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

They changed something. In iOS 7 I only got the location badge when I had an app open and was using it for checking in or maps pretty much. Then I would remove the app from the switcher and no longer see the location badge. Now with iOS 8 it's constantly on even when all apps are completely closed. If more apps add the "while using" option it shouldn't be a problem, but with only "always" or "never" it remains.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you sure it's that paticular app and not something else? Everything behaves the same way as in iOS 7 for me.

19. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

No need to reset.. Go Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services -> Status Bar Icon (at the bottom)

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Foursquare has the purple badge icon in Settings, but I've opened it once today and several hours ago at that. The other one is compass calibration. It may behave the same if you don't normally close apps out of the switcher, but for me it's definitely acting differently. I just really don't want my phone constantly checking location for different things while I'm commuting or in a building with bad reception where wifi connection times out. My iPhone 5 actually had good battery life on ios 7 :(

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Meaning just hide the use of the location service by system services? The issue isn't really that the icon is there but that something is using location services when you don't believe anything should be or want anything to be using those services at that time.

----------

Foursquare has an option in its settings not to use location when not in app basically so you just want to make sure that's set. As for compass calibration or any other system services I've had (since at least iOS 5 days if not before) and continue having all of them off (aside from Find My Phone) so I don't really see location usage from any of those and everything still works as normal for me.

22. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Wonder why they hid it in the app settings instead of putting it in the iPhone settings? Thanks for that. I had a lot of the system location services turned off, but I can't remember which ones.

Location Badge is gone, so I guess I picked the right settings. Thanks!

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

A lot of these types of settings are within the apps for whatever reason. As for system services you can turn them all off or almost all and then see if you really need any particular one (if something works differently for you or something like that) and you can always turn it back on. For me it seems like aside from Find My Phone I haven't come across another one that I actually needed in some way.