Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
M1 was never enough for me in terms of ports, external display support and RAM. Personally I bought a MacBook Air base model to test the waters.

My workflow moved from the 16" i9 > Air M1 without nay issue, sure there's some hiccups here and there in terms of RAM because I only have 8GB but I'm still compiling and working on my terminals and my containers without a issue.

I always meant to have this Air as a temporary solution until they would release the new models, that way I could my 16" i9 for a great price.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
M1 was never enough for me in terms of ports, external display support and RAM. Personally I bought a MacBook Air base model to test the waters.
Me too, except I got the M1 Mini.

I was both impressed and disappointed in the M1 Mini, and posted about my experience here on the MR forum.

Of course there was some people in the community that went nuts after me saying that I was disappointed with certain aspects of the M1.

The biggest disappointment for me wasn’t necessarily with the M1, but with the industry in general.

When comparing SW encode times of the M1 to my main Mac, a Late 2012 iMac with a 3rd gen i7, the M1 was faster, but typically only about twice as fast, and only 50% faster for long encodes.

Some responses were very dismissive of my comments, some just taking offense that I said something negative about the M1, and others saying that “it isn’t fair” to compare the M1 against a high end iMac (which is just a silly statement in general, anything can be compared with context).

While the M1 was faster, I just expected much more from it when comparing it to an 8 year old Mac.

This is a complaint more of the overall industry, and not really Apple nor the M1.
Still though, for the price, the M1 Mac Mini is amazing.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Totally appreciate how the new upcoming Macs are more suited to Pros - and by that I mean true pros as in people who do professional work. However I have heard countless podcasters s**t on the M1 this week with comments such as 'we didn't want the M1' 'It wasn't what pros needed' to even one R Richie complain on a podcast that the 'M1 just wasn't fast enough'. This is a direct contradiction to the hyperbole when the M1 was announced.. so why all of a sudden is it considered no good? Just curious..
Just do yourself a favor and don't listen to all these podcasters who have really no clue what they are talking about. Especially Rene Richie, who makes the worst videos ever. For these podcasters Pros are only people doing video or audio editing. Everybody else just doesn't exist.
The M1 is an amazing chip but it doesn't scale enough to satisfy sustained performance workload requirements on the high end of computing. Just don't listen to these people and enjoy your computer.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Just do yourself a favor and don't listen to all these podcasters who have really no clue what they are talking about. Especially Rene Richie, who makes the worst videos ever.

Some of the best advice one can find on here.
Rene is essentially just a hyper narrow focused Apple PR shill.

An absolutely enormous part of the Apple focused video/podcast review world focuses basically only on their own field and considers that the extent of "pro usage".

Most of it is just surface level visual FOMO creation

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Me too, except I got the M1 Mini.

I was both impressed and disappointed in the M1 Mini, and posted about my experience here on the MR forum.

Of course there was some people in the community that went nuts after me saying that I was disappointed with certain aspects of the M1.

The biggest disappointment for me wasn’t necessarily with the M1, but with the industry in general.

When comparing SW encode times of the M1 to my main Mac, a Late 2012 iMac with a 3rd gen i7, the M1 was faster, but typically only about twice as fast, and only 50% faster for long encodes.

Some responses were very dismissive of my comments, some just taking offense that I said something negative about the M1, and others saying that “it isn’t fair” to compare the M1 against a high end iMac (which is just a silly statement in general, anything can be compared with context).

While the M1 was faster, I just expected much more from it when comparing it to an 8 year old Mac.

This is a complaint more of the overall industry, and not really Apple nor the M1.
Still though, for the price, the M1 Mac Mini is amazing.
Yeah as a cloud engineer honestly the M1 is great no doubt.

But when it comes to compile stuff, still doing on dedicated servers... It is great for day to day work tho and it's awesome battery life lets me work 2/3 days without charging (Unless I use that garbage Teams app)

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Totally appreciate how the new upcoming Macs are more suited to Pros - and by that I mean true pros as in people who do professional work. However I have heard countless podcasters s**t on the M1 this week with comments such as 'we didn't want the M1' 'It wasn't what pros needed' to even one R Richie complain on a podcast that the 'M1 just wasn't fast enough'. This is a direct contradiction to the hyperbole when the M1 was announced.. so why all of a sudden is it considered no good? Just curious..
Podcasters and journalists need to hook their audience, so they tend to have more extreme takes on things that you might otherwise expect.

The M1 was an amazing start and covers a lot of both consumer and professional needs. The single processor speed is still as good as the new M1 Pro/Max.

Some professionals do have needs (and wants) that are beyond what the M1 was designed for. For some, the 16GB RAM ceiling was too low. Others need more ports or more external monitors. Some even need more multi-core processing speed. We all knew that when the M1 came out and still praised it with good cause and in the assumption that bigger guns would be coming out soon to address those more heavy duty needs.

The M1 still meets the needs of most consumers and a large number of professionals. Professionals come in a lot of different shapes and sizes and performance needs. The M1 outperforms the current Intel MacBook pros that most of the developers at our company use and they would probably be happy if they could upgrade. I suspect that, when the time comes, we’ll probably outfit them with the lower spec M1 Pro MBPs just to cover expanded needs over the next 5 year buying cycle. Those of us in more administrator roles, while still professional wold probably be served by an M2 or similar once the purchasing department gets ready to buy.

Now that Apple is bringing out more power, the M1s are out of the limelight now. That’s OK.

SandyLL

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
So terribly disappointing are MacBooks. Illogical, unreliable while paying more? Malfunctions regularly compared to Windows. Non-intuitve and wasted steps due to design inefficiency - big time! Developers obviously not smart enough to understand the concept of "form following function". And I thought I’d be moving up by getting one of these??? What a joke. Can’t wait to get back to MS!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Holy zombie post, Batman! Who dredged this thing up? If anything the value of the M1 is more now than it was back then. You can get some amazing deals on m1 Macs right now.
Yup, Im watching Gotham™ season 4 and miss that term!
Oh my M1 MacBook Air still runs perfect
as my MacBook Pro 2012 i7 Mojave is doing something Monterey can't on this!
OH HAIL THE M1 ;~0

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.