Why is the MBP lid so elastic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nStyle, Mar 2, 2010.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

I find this very weird. I was just curious on how sturdy the lid was and started trying to bend it holding both of the sides. To my surprise it bends very easily. This thing would break very easy I would think.

I wonder how much force it would take to completely break the screen by doing this? I also wonder if I could of damaged the screen by just slightly doing it like that.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you might know, there are several MBPs, the current Unibody line and the older Aluminium line, that originated form the PowerBook.
    Also there are three different sizes, 13", 15" and 17".

What MBP do you have?

And as with almost any man made object, it can be destroyed by putting enough force on it.
    A mobile computer is not really meant for bending anyway, maybe you have to look at Panasonic's Toughbook.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.... not to mention, the new unibodies with the anti-glare option have one less sheet of glass, which provides added stiffness.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's correct, but either I'm too weak or my 17" matte uMBP is quite stiff anyway.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Still pumped from using the mouse? :D Here's a good workout!

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Just curious but why are trying to destroy your laptop? I think you picked the wrong item for your exhibition of strength. But if you are going see how much force it takes, please post some pictures after you bend the screen in half.

7. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not trying to destroy it... I was just curious to how sturdy or bendy it was and to my surprise the aluminum was very bendy. I didn't, nor would, bend it enough to break it.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Oh. I misspoke then. Why are you trying to damage your computer? It really sounds retarded. It's like you thought that aluminum would not bend. The unibody is only the base of the computer, the display you can tell from just the weight of it, feels much lighter and is made with less aluminum.

9. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Again, I was just curious to see if it bent or not. I realize my own capabilities and new it would not break so I was just curious if it was so stiff that even a slight pressure couldnt bend it or if it was really easy. To my surprise it was really easy.

Just seems like it would break easy, and that was my observation

10. Nuak macrumors member

I've observed the same thing: while the bottom of the computer seems sturdy, the lid can be bended easily although it is a quite thick aluminium.

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So even if it was hard to bend, you were going to apply enough force to bend it? Again this sounds completely retarded. I am guessing someone else bought this for you, because you do not seem to get the idea of respecting it.

12. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

I am starting to get annoyed. Can you not read English? I am not set out on trying to destroy my laptop. No where in this post did I say that. I commented on the fact that it bends easy. By bend, I didn't truly mean "manipulate to the point of distortion".

"I wonder how much force it would take to completely break the screen by doing this? I also wonder if I could of damaged the screen by just slightly doing it like that" is quite different from "I wonder how much force it would take to completely break the screen because I want to try it".

Just because I want to know how to build an atomic bomb for the purpose of science doesn't mean I would actually do it. Learn the difference.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That took me awhile on my Mega 72" touch screen display. I miss the days of the mouse, but at least now forensics won't have such a hard time finding my fingerprints all over the dead Mega 72".

[​IMG]

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's not thick at all. Plus, aluminum is a flexible metal, to begin with. Of course it can bend, and while the aluminum can flex safely to a certain degree, the glass panel is less flexible and more fragile.
    ... and yet, just because you CAN bend the lid doesn't mean you SHOULD, and yet, you DID. :rolleyes:

16. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I think your test is retarded. I do not need to apply force to the lid of my notebook to understand that if I drop it or am rough with it, it might break or become damaged. I also think a toughbook is right for you.

17. polotska macrumors 6502

Exactly. Flexing has been an issue with PowerBooks/MacBook Pros since the days of the titanium PowerBook. The unibody MacBook Pros are better in this respect, but thin aluminum is not particularly rigid.

18. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Correction, I tested the elasticity of the lid. It is not BENT. Man, what is with all the presumptions. I didn't fulfill the experiment I was hoping someone else could inform me on.

I have the latest unibody 15". Even plastic is more sturdy than what looks like a pretty strong lid. I figured some sort of strong glass would at least be supporting it.

I even noticed when I pressed on the Apple logo while the unit is closed, the lid sinks in. I'm not saying I didn't know Aluminum was so flimsy... I just thought it was better supported than this!!!

I can't stress enough how little of a force I was putting on it when testing it. In no way shape or form did I damage the lid or bend it... I was just noticing how it is so flexible. I really appreciate everyones concern over my laptop though :rolleyes:

The know-it-alls that thinks I have bent my laptop would laugh at themselves when finding out how overly-careful I am with my stuff.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

:rolleyes:

20. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

I swear to god. "It bends very easily" does NOT mean "I bent it". Where is the confusion here?

"It is very cold in Alaska". Doesn't mean I am going to go naked and run around in it.

I wasn't literally bending it, I was testing the flexibility.

21. highscheme macrumors regular

horrible comparison

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My 13' Unibody 2009 MBP is very sturdy all over, including the screen. Even though my screen is very thin if I try to bend it nothing happens:D

23. Gallium macrumors newbie

omg noob... flexible is not elastic...

flex·i·ble
    [flek-suh-buhl]
    –adjective
    capable of being bent, usually without breaking; easily bent: a flexible ruler.

e·las·tic
    [ih-las-tik]
    –adjective
    capable of returning to its original length, shape, etc., after being stretched, deformed, compressed, or expanded: an elastic waistband; elastic fiber.

can u stretch ur mbp lid? noob...

edit: oh sry... i mean noobs...

24. yotd macrumors member

Bending something is deforming it. Plastic and elastic deformation are different things. The OP was talking about elastic.

25. nStyle thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow... this is one of the most rude forums I've ever been involved with, aside from a few normal people.

Try "bending" you're MBP lid with little force. You are "deforming" it, then it will "return to its original shape" after you let go. This falls under your definition.

It is also flexible in that you can bend it with enough force.

I feel like I'm teaching an English class.

We refer to a good park snowboard as being "flexible" because it bends and is maneuverable while riding it. Doesn't mean it's "bent".

Anyway I'm pretty much done after this post. I was just pointing out something maybe others didn't know or didn't try, and wondering if it would be an easy thing to break or not.