Why is the MBPr's camera so bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lambert Kober, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Lambert Kober macrumors newbie

I mean, with how good the iPhone's camera is, I do not understand why the MBP's camera is so bad...

2. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Well you are not going to take your rMBP around to take photographs are you?

Comparing it to the rear camera on the iPhone is pointless. The camera on the rMBP is comparable to the front Facetime camera on the iPhone because they share a common purpose.

3. Lambert Kober thread starter macrumors newbie

I know but does it really matter if they have a 720p or 8mp iPhone camera? Does one take up more space or require more money?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes obviously the excellent sony parts used in the Iphone take up more space and need lenses etc and cost a lot more money, this is just not needed for facetime or similar uses.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No but what purpose is a 720p camera on a laptop? It has limited appear and may also increase the price if they did add that (and the MBP is expensive enough as it stands)

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'm all for better cameras, but a higher-quality camera means that you are streaming more data for facetime/skype. Most home internet has really low upload speeds with fast download speeds, so apple is probably prioritizing smooth playback over quality.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No need to anything better that fits in the space available. It's for facetime calls, not shooting the latest Hollywood blockbuster or taking award winning photographs.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

As others have mentioned it would be pointless as well as an unneeded added extra cost. No one is going to take pictures with a laptop camera and for things like FaceTime and Skype what is included is perfectly adequate.

9. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

This really. 3rd party exists if needing more. Phones get a better camera since they have become a kind of replacement to lugging around a camera body with lens kit.

Skype and such do not have and do not support higher quality video really. VTC systems from cisco and polycom say hi here. And you pay well for it. that box it runs through does lots of data magic to get the various high quality data codecs they may use passed across even plain ole ISDN to look as nice as possible at all ends.