Why is the new iPad camera 5MB but the iPhone 4S is 8MP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bobby Corwen, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Both can do 1080P?

Im confused. Why did they put an iPhone 4 level quality camera in there instead of what is in the 4S?

Am I missing something??

2. number84 macrumors 6502

keep costs down? improve margins? leave room for future upgrades? take your pick

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

To lower production costs and higher profit margins?

I think the fact of it is, is that people are much more likely to be taking pictures with their iPhone 4s than with their 2012 iPad. So thusly, better camera for where you need it, slightly worse camera for where you don't need it.

Besides, megapixels aren't everything. Maybe the iPad's sensor is larger and better. Who knows

EDIT: darn, number84 beat me to it!

4. identity macrumors 6502

megapixels doesn't mean that it won't shoot any better than the iphone 4s. I'd hold off and wait before I'd claim it isn't up to par with the iphone 4s. It might not be but it's not a dealbreaker for me because I won't use the back camera much anyways.

5. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I guess nobody really takes pictures with the iPad and so the cost factor is not worth the investment.

Also the smartphone MegaPixel competition is more fierce especially for spec-whores so they really need to be bleeding edge there, but not on the iPad.

Still, I can't help feeling like it will be less than top of the line video.

I hope its significantly better than the iPhone 4 cam though somehow...