Why is the online store rejecting my credit card?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maclover001, Mar 12, 2009.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I am trying to order a unibody MacBook Pro from the online Apple store, but it refuses my credit card. It tells me "Authorization failed", after I get the "Processing, please don't press your browsers Back button" screen.

My friend said he got the same issue when he tried to order his iPod Touch online.

Is the Canada Apple store having issues?

I'm in Vancouver, and am using a Visa.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did you call your credit card company? They should be able to provide a much better answer than anyone here can.

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Very likely your credit card provider automatically triggers a refusal on an especially large transaction relative to your normal spending habits. This happens to a lot of people when buying laptops. Call your credit card company and confirm you are buying the laptop and they'll authorize the transaction.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

this is what happened to me.....annoying, but it was a security thing. After talking to my CC company it was just a matter of reordering and it went thru

5. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Sure? It still rejects it when I try to change the info via iTunes.
    I'll call them tomorrow.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

did you talk to the CC company? once they put a security hold on your card it's pretty much unusable for anything until you get them to remove the hold

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, it's your card company. I hate it when they (cc companies) do this. I guess they want me to think that they're being proactive about securing my card. Can't say the mind trick works though. They've never actually prevented fraudulent use of my card(s), but did prevent me from buying the last pair in my size of some very nice pants once :(.

8. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I would try to call your CC company.

Mine are automatically denied unless I give someone a heads up that I'll be dropping a lot of money in the near future as it's a departure from my usual spending habits. Usually I buy this and that with my CCs so a purchase that runs into the 4 or 5 digits will trigger an automatic lock. Can't say I complain though, because one my CCs were stolen, and the thief didn't get far with them. :)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Another for calling the CC company. They won't usually authorize transactions that large unless you notify them.