Why is the text so small on the MBA 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tenashus1, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's the ONE thing I miss about Windows 7, the ability to increase all fonts by 125% or 150%.

The only one though... :apple:

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

3. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Is this in a specific app or in general? The MBA's text doesn't strike me a small.

4. Tenashus1 thread starter macrumors 6502

In general. I have to do a lot of zooming on different websites.

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Speaking of small text... is there ANY way to zoom in on text in the TextEdit program? Anything? That text is REALLY small (to me).

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Cmd +. Many times.

7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Are you positive this works in TextEdit? I could've sworn I tried this when I was at the store (heck, I tried whatever I could think of!).

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I do agree that's a nice feature in Windows 7.

Actually I find Windows 7 just as easy to use and manage as OS X. They have never been closer in terms of the user experience. Perhaps it's just years of using both Macs and PC's.

Yet that said, if I had to choose just one, it would be a Mac without hesitation.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree but I'm getting old and my eye sight is much worse now. :)

I like the Lion double tap to zoom in feature. That was a nice bit of the iOS they copied.

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Interesting. I'm on Windows Vista right now and gearin' up for a new lappy. Trying to decide between a PC with Windows 7 or a MacBook Air (which would be my first Mac ever). Easy decision for most on this forum... not so easy for me.

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

My aging eyes love that feature -- but I wish it worked on everything. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't. :(

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Couldn't agree with you more. Assuming, of course, I was able to correctly read your post.:eek:

13. misterneums macrumors 6502

While I am no where near what anyone could call old (26), I do find the text on the 13" to be a little small. I guess I'll blame it on the years of gaming and being behind screens all the time :)

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Easy - MacBook Air + Windows 7 installed on Bootcamp. Best of both worlds. The Air runs Windows 7 beautifully...

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Positive. Just now tried it again to be sure. It changes the font size. You can also click on Format / Font / Bigger. :cool:

16. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Thanks. I'll try it again on my next trip to Apple.

17. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I've thought about this. Especially since I don't wanna have to buy new software (Mac versions). Also, I use software from Slysoft (AnyDVD, etc) which doesn't come in a Mac version (and I don't want to use a substitute for this particular software).

Although I'll have to do some research to see which way to go: Bootcamp or Parallels (or VMWare).

Thanks.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I chose to do both. I did Bootcamp so I could boot native into Win7 for maximum performance, and I then installed Parallels and had I use the Bootcamp partition as the source for a VM. That way I can run some PC apps from inside Lion, or reboot into a native Win7 environment if I want to.

The Win7 installation using Bootcamp was a breeze. This was my first Mac and I am very impressed with how Lion works. Where it not for Quicken and DVD Profiler, I'd be using Lion exclusively.

Parallels also let's me run WinXP, Win98 (without sound), DOS and Ubuntu. Only reason I do is because I can. :D I love to tinker. I am trying to get my hands on some OS/2 Warp 4.5 media, and my schizophrenic system will be complete!

19. coolguy1 macrumors member

Office 2010

Anyway to make office 2010 zoom in automatically to 130%? Everytime I open Office documents from windows PC, the font is sooo smalll!!

20. coops macrumors regular

check out this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=826047&highlight=

I did rant on a bit, but the stuff you're looking for is about half way thru... how to easily zoom to a level you like, and set window size and position...

21. gloryunited macrumors 6502

Text on webpage is fine for me, but I find the text in Excel 2011 too small (at 100%).

As for TextEdit, you can go to [Preferences] and change the default font size. :D

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

For Word you can put a "zoom to page width" button on the toolbar and also set the default zoom by setting the zoom on a blank new doc and saving back out to the default template normal.dot -- not sure if it affects docs brought over from a PC though and I can't try it right now.

On Excel, I haven't tried setting a default zoom but again you can put zoom in/out buttons on the toolbar.

23. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Is this true for existing files? Or only new ones? In my case I've got a bunch of existing Notepad (Windows) files that I'd to be able to increase the text size on. Can it be done? Or is it for new files only?

Hmmm, that actually brings up another question too: will I be able to import all my Notepad files from Windows and open (read) the files on a Mac?

24. coolguy1 macrumors member

It doesn't seem to work for files carried over from Windows PC