Why is there a "Contacts" app/button??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jun 27, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I don't get it. What's the point of adding this app? Can't you just tap the phone icon and view your contacts that way? Why dedicated an app/button specifically for contacts?

It's early and maybe i'm just missing it, but it doesn't make any sense.

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

1) Since the iPhone now has Exchange support (not to mention MobileMe) with push ability, how do you know when new data has been pushed to your apps? A badge is displayed showing the number of new items. And when you miss a call? Again, a badge. And it looks like they found an easy way to keep them separate ... ;)

2) Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem that intuitive to open the Phone app to find contacts' email addresses.

Hopefully they'll still leave the contacts list accessible through the phone app though, in addition to the standalone app. Just to keep things consistent for people with 1st gen iPhones.

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

if they didnt it would be a big mistake

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It saves a button press.

In a UI, saving a button press on a common function is *a. good. thing.*

It was something I hoped we'd get in the app store, so for to be out of the box is excellent news.

Phazer

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

There have been SOOO many times I needed someone's contact info to give to someone -- either a phone number or e-mail address -- and forgot for a moment where to look. And then it's a bunch of things to push just to get to it. Yeah, a separate Contacts app is a good thing -- though I agree it should still be linked within the Phone app too.

What I REALLY want is the ability to delete (or at least hide) some of the Apple apps. I'm looking at YOU, Stocks!! Anyone know if this is possible in 2.0?

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

The real question you should be asking. The question I constantly ask. Is. Why isn't there a contacts app/button.

I am far more likely to need to go into my contacts to find info/call/e-mail than I am to go into the "Phone" bit. It is counter-intuitive the way the iPhone is set up right now and is the second worst missing feature (the first being copy and paste).

7. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Make an extra page and just throw stock onto it :p

8. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Just create an extra screen and dump all the crud you don't want to look at on it. Never go onto that screen.

***Looks at own iPhone***

UTubes, iTunes Store, Stocks. All on the junk screen #3. Also known as the screen I never use.

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yeah, yeah -- that's what I've already done.

But.....

......*I* know it's there! It keeps me awake at night. Honest! :D

10. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

one of my favorite feature of a current unlock iphone, is the contact button. rather than pushing phone, contacts it one stop. that is great.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Try switching to decaf.;)

When I start downloading apps, I'm going to move my unused programs to a page I'll never go to as well. Seems like the best plan. I'm looking forward to having a contacts button. Like others have said, it seems counter-intuitive the way its implemented now.

12. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak the iPhone and download Poof?

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

you could put it on a far away page if you wanted to.

ChrisN

14. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I will never jailbreak my iPhone -- but I LOVE the name "Poof"! :D

15. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I wonder if Apple will give us full home screen editing via iTunes as some point in time. You could setup how you want your home screen completely via iTunes (only require certain apps like phone). This way, you wouldn't have a stocks app on your phone if you don't want it.

16. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Just curious what your reasons are... I originally didn't jailbreak my iPhone because I thought tons of apps would fuglify it but I figured out a way to make it pretty seamless.

If you download Poof and BossPrefs your essentially set. Bossprefs can launch programs within it so what I did was use Poof to hide all of my unwanted apps, including Poof itself, and Settings, then used BossPrefs as my replacement on the screen for settings, and I was able to launch Poof from within settings if I had to for any reason.

17. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I'm perfectly ok waiting for "official" Apps from the App store. I know jailbreaking is pretty seamless now, but I still don't like the possible risk, and don't want to mess up the warranty on my phone in case something happens.

And there's really VERY little in jailbroken apps that has caught my interest, and even the ones that do have problems, or just don't work the way I'd want them to. I was kidding about staying up all night because I can't delete Stocks -- and while something like "Poof" would be nice, it's not THAT essential that I would go and jailbreak my phone for it.

18. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

19. YoungKevin macrumors member

its there because in contacts in the phone app while on a call u can save a contact. With the contact app u can create a new contact or edit an contact while on a call