Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erillanos

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Look on your keyboard on your computer it is there to.

Just to make it look like a real keyboard serves no function on a virtual keyboard. On real one it guides your hands so you can know where you are on the keyboard

CarboysDesire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Las Vegas
I just noticed it's on the "F" key as well.

These are known as the home keys but you cannot rest your hands on the keyboard, so what gives?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
CarboysDesire said:
I just noticed it's on the "F" key as well.

These are known as the home keys but you cannot rest your hands on the keyboard, so what gives?

It appears they are just for looks.

lespaul85

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
What's that about?

And the F key. To look like a real keyboard. Some people use the bumps to feel around while touch typing so they don't have to look down. Doesn't really serve a purpose other than looks on the virtual one though

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
lol those under lines are for tactile feedback for home row positioning on regular keyboards (fingers will automatically find their place on the keyboard without looking), its just stupid to put it on a touch screen keyboard.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
if you close your eyes and feel the J and F key, you can feel the ridge
so blind people can use the iPad too !

if you can't feel it, then there is something wrong with your keyboard, and have to do a full restore

omg, are you really seriously asking that question ?

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
If you properly learned to type from a class, they would tell you that your index finger need to be on the F and J keys. It's for you mind to know where to put the index keys without looking down.

Left hand
ASDF (for your four fingers with Thumb on space bar)

Right hand
JKL;

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
it is obviously some of the guys here skip their typing class on college :D

It's always a good idea to make sure your message doesn't have a typo when you insult other people's education.

This has nothing to do with typing skills. It has to do with why a tactile indicator is on a touchscreen without haptic feedback.

bigddybn

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
It's always a good idea to make sure your message doesn't have a typo when you insult other people's education.

This has nothing to do with typing skills. It has to do with why a tactile indicator is on a touchscreen without haptic feedback.

Actually the vast majority of people that haven't taken a formal typing class would never know that F and J had a special function on a real keyboard. The OP is obviously one of those people.

Perhaps you skipped reading comprehension?

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Actually the vast majority of people that haven't taken a formal typing class would never know that F and J had a special function on a real keyboard. The OP is obviously one of those people.

Perhaps you skipped reading comprehension?

Speaking of reading, I was one of the original people to reply, with the explanation. I just didn't use the opportunity to insult people.

I never took a formal typing class. But the keyboard I am using (Saitek Eclipse II) has those indicators, as do many numeric keypads. It doesn't take a typing class. Regardless, there's no reason to insult people.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
its just stupid to put it on a touch screen keyboard.

No it isn't. Just like a a regular keyboard, it works through visual notifications as well. Just because you can't feel the keyboard doesn't mean the notches don't help people know which finger goes there. Plus, why shouldn't they make the keyboard look like a real keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.