Why is there a "Movie" folder in your home folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by enigmaverse, Mar 9, 2010.

1. enigmaverse macrumors member

I've been trying to figure out a good way to organize my itunes library for a long time. I'm running a Macbook Pro with a 200GB drive. At one point (up until today) I had my Library on a networked drive. The problem with this is every time I closed my laptop or severed the connection to the wireless router, my itunes folder would revert to default. This resulted in downloaded music living in three places (I'm not even sure how), and for some reason, it would never sync to my phone right, I had partial albums and in some cases, albums missing after syncing.

So after about a year, I've given up and moved everything back... at least for now... after using Itunes to consolidate the Library, I went into my home folder and clicked on the Movie folder expecting to see all my movies, there nothing there, the movies are embedded in a "Movies" folder inside the "Music" folder... So this begs the question:

Why is there a "Movies" folder in the home folder? and how do I get my movie in there and out of the Music folder?

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's kind of ridiculous, but part of the answer is that, when the home folder structure was created, there was no iTunes (and iTunes was not initially used for movies anyways). The Movies folder was then presumably used for videos downloaded to play in Quicktime and/or ones that the user made themselves.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Movies is where your iMovie projects, and events (added with iLife '08/'09) are now located.

5. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I put my downloaded TV shows there, which I usually delete after I watch them or have watched the whole season.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Front Row will play any (compatible) video files placed in that folder.

7. enigmaverse thread starter macrumors member

good to know I'm not completely crazy. Has anybody had luck with aliasing the "movie" subfolder in itunes to a portable? I've got 3GB of space left on this drive...

8. Mistertoad17 macrumors newbie

Like Sambo110 I store any video I download in there and also use it as the place I direct any conversions I create from one format to another before adding them to iTunes.

I have an Elegato Diversity which I use to record films from TV (it defaults to the movies folder). So most often I will want to edit out the adverts using a really helpful little app I found on the Macappstore called Video-Converter. They must spend hours bouncing around the right title for these apps before getting it just right :rolleyes:

Once I have removed the ads and got the file just right, I then point iFlicks at the edited file to add the metadata and DVD cover, or film poster from Google images and then iFlicks adds it to iTunes.

I find the separate Movies folder is really useful for this kind of mini project.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My first guess would be that wouldn't work because upon opening iTunes usually checks to make sure a file is actually there, any changes will probably cause it to announce the file isn't there if your external drive is turned off when you open iTunes.

However if you have a desktop where the drive can be plugged in at all times you should be fine to just move the files over and iTunes should just figure it all out.