Why Is There No AT&T App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnryjr, Dec 11, 2008.

1. johnryjr macrumors regular

It seems like it would make sense to have an AT&T App. You would be able to see how many minutes/texts/data you have used and you could pay your bill and stuff. Anyone else think so?

John

2. swr2000 macrumors member

Maybe bc AT&T doesn't want to pay a developer, or because you can already do it in settings?

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you cant do it in settings

you cant see how many texts you have or data per billing cycle or minutes used or roll over minutes eyc

this would be a nice app for sure

4. cboom4250 macrumors newbie

dial "*3282#" (without quotes) to get texts remaining and data per billing cycle in a free text message.

i don't know the one for minutes remaining, but i know there is one.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

probably cuz at&t dont want an EASY way to let people know when they are going to get overage charges....

If you can make more money by NOT doing something, why do it?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's mostly this.

In addition, they just figure you will use the web site. I wish they'd at least develop an iPhone formatted version of the site. If they did that, I'd be happy. Honestly, that's just as good as an app anyway, for what it needs to do.

7. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Ya you can, go to Settings>Phone>AT&T Services.
    It shows you al the numbers you dial to see what you want to know.
    Data/text- *DATA#
    Check Bill Balance- *225#
    View My Minutes- *646#

8. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Agreed. It is a pain to browse their "regular" site on the iPhone!

9. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

try an app called pageonce. all you have to do is put your info in and it will pull your info from att for you. you can put any info in there. credit cards, bank accts. i only use it for att, no way am i giving out my c.c. info.

10. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

It is a pain to browse their "regular" site with a desktop as well.:D

11. jlwillia macrumors regular

This is a great idea. However, as someone else already pointed out, it makes no financial sense for ATT to do this.

C'mon, a phone company making it easy for us all to know when we're getting close to being subjected to all kinds of overage charges? That's like a loan shark telling their customers how financially irresponsible their high interest loans are, or a drug dealer telling all its customers that drugs will kill them.

12. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I'm shocked personally that AT&T nor Apple have iPhone-optimized websites.... irony? I think so.

13. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Well I'd rather have an At&t U-verse app, mostly cause I have U-verse TV/Internet service. :eek: You can already control the DVR online but an app would work much better for the iPhone. But an At&t iPhone optimized page would at least be a start. And it would be great if you could also view other things such as those previously mentioned for the majority who don't have U-verse (and me).

14. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

You took the words right out of my mouth with U-verse! How nice would it be to have an app for the DVR instead of the crappy mobile site.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If any of the whiners in this thread don't do this first, just geez. Maybe AT&T doesn't make an app because this SMS feature is free and can be used by ANY phone AT&T makes. AT&T also does the amazing "hate the customer" thing by offering iPhone users a buttload of free WiFi hot spots.

If you're going to hate on AT&T (I do it plenty), at least pick something worth griping about.

16. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

17. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

QFT, some are never satisfied....

On another note, I can't wait until UVerse is in my area so I can drop Comcast. Now theres something to complain about! :p

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The data one was pointless. Text: unlimited. Data: unlimited.

19. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I thinks it's funny Apple doesn't have an iPhone optimized website.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The reason they do this is because Apple advertises the iPhone as being able to browse the full Internet and if Apple made an iPhone optimized website, they would break this claim. Also, if you look in your bookmarks, there's an iPhone guide that is in fact a webapp.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually, Apple did change their website so it would work on the iPhone.

When Jobs first demonstrated the phone in Jan 2007, one of the sneaky things he did was to pull up his Safari bookmarks with Apple listed at the top. He pretended like he was going to click it, but then stopped and joked "Oh we know what that website looks like!" and instead clicked on the much simpler NY Times or Google (I forget which).

The reason he avoided Apple's website was because, at the time, it would not have looked good on the iPhone. I believe it used a lot of scrolling frames, and even Flash on the front page. If he had gone there, his "real internet" claim would've been blown out of the water.

Between that day and the sales launch, the Apple website was totally overhauled.

22. Wailord macrumors 6502

No one mentioned it yet? Wow!
    PageOnce from the App Store lets you check your minutes, when you cycle ends, texts, rollover minutes, mobile-to-mobile, n&w, etc... it's great (and free)!

23. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

check post #9. im just sayin...

24. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

they have a couple apps here in germany for tmobile contracts and it´s really great and useful especially for me because right now I only have 300mb monthly and with the weird billing it equals about 100mb i actually use so it´s nice to be able to keep track also with the text messages

it´s not an offical tmob app though it´s an app that accesses the tmob cost check site and pulls the information so basically it´s somebody else making money with their service ... but I really love it :)

25. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I think it's cause they're trying to make the point that the iPhone can display pages like they would on your desktop.

By showing an iPhone optimized site, they're just proving that people still need to optimize their site for the iPhone which is what the iPhone (and now Bold, Storm, etc.) was trying to prevent.