Why is there no Favorites heart button available for most of my photos

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wlow3, May 4, 2015.

1. wlow3 macrumors regular

I have about 5000+ photos on my iPhone 5s (iOS 8.3) but nearly all of them do not have the Favorites heart button available to favorite them in Photos.

What criteria make this available for a photo?

I'll add that I did not yet sign up for iCloud photos with the new Mac Photos app and I sync my photos directly with a lighting cord between the Mac and the iPhone, if any of that make a difference. (I can favorite photos on the Mac but that does not seem to sync over.) Thanks.

2. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

Possible reasons, as I see them:

- Because you haven't signed up for iCloud Photos.
    - Maybe your synced photos are 'read-only'
    - Because of an iOS glitch

3. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Agree with J.gerbes. Once I turned on iCloud photo library and synced all my photos had the heart to designate as Favorites. Until then, some had it some didn't.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

- You take bad photos and your iPhone knows it

:p

I kid of course

5. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

:p

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Are they My Photostream photos that are not in your camera roll?

7. wlow3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm getting that it's due to the fact that I don't have one of the cloud services on, and I think I have neither Photo Stream nor iCloud Photos on, but I do periodically perform a local sync and I don't understand why favoriting are not part of what is synced. I can favorite any photo on my Mac but these do not get synced to my iPhone (nor end up in its Favorites folder), and on my iPhone only a few of my 5000 photos has either the heart icon or the trash can - most hit is only photos that I have taken very recently on the iPhone (ones that are still in the camera roll). If they are deleted out of the camera roll upon sync, they do get synced back to the camera, so I still have them on the phone, they lose the heart and the trash can icons. I guess if it doesn't get synced via iCloud photo, but done locally, then it's read-only? Is that true?