All iPads Why is there no iPad with glass digitizer and LCD as one unit?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maxap, Mar 12, 2014.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey fellows,

I keep wondering why there is still no iPad with the glass digitizer and LCD manufactured as one unit. :confused:

We all know that the iPhone 4 and all following iPhones were produced that way: Apple is using strong adhesive to adhere the digitizer to the LCD in order to avoid dust particles getting between these two parts and to make the iPhone thinner.

All iPads (iPad 2, 3, 4 and Air) I had tested had some dust particles/smudges between the LCD and the glass digitizer.

What do you think about it? My guess is that Apple can implement this idea even now, but is waiting to make the new generation of iPads even thinner. (without the need to introduce some new technology)

In my eyes, it is a shame and I will buy a new iPad Air/Retina Mini only if they produce the LCD and the glass digitizer as one unit. It will be much better for the eyes (you will not see any space between the screen and the glass), there will be no dust/particles inside and the iPads will be thinner.

2. coco67 macrumors member

And if you break the screen, you will replace the entire LCD + screen protector... It's expensive! If there are 2 parts units, you can easily change the screen without LCD. For consumer it's better and cheaper i think, no?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never had a problem with dust under the screen, and while OP you seemed to I wonder if your suggesting a solution to a problem that really doesn't exist in large part.

I have 4 iPads in my household (wife, myself and two kids) and they're all perfect. I know 4 iPads are not sufficient for statistical analyses but my point remains that we see a few threads here about dust but its not a common problem it seems.

4. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

There are numerous threads about the dust issue: some individuals keep exchanging their iPads 5-10 times due to this problem. Go into a dark room and put a lamp towards the screen of your iPad: you will see many dust particles. I have checked many iPads and all of them had dust under the screen.

I think it is a problem! coco67, well iPhones have both the LCD and the glass digitizer as one unit and Apple is perfectly fine with replacing the whole unit in case you break the glass. And it is more probable that you will break you phone (because it is always with you) than your tablet that many people use only inside (as I do).

In my perspective, this is the future of the iPad: the LCD and the glass digitizer will be one beautiful whole and there will be peace and harmony.

5. EDH667, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I have owned every generation of iPad and have never experienced dust under the screen. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but as with anything manufactured, if you look hard enough for a flaw you are going to find one or two.

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

Is this a problem?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll not deny there are people incurring this, but I'll counter that argument and state there's many more without. Some people (I'm not saying you) seem to want to check out their iPads to such a degree that they will always find a problem. I check out my iPad as I use it normally. If I don't see any problems with it under typical conditions - its a keeper.

If I have to go into a dark room and shine a light towards the screen which is not really how many people use the iPad given the reflections, then I'd probably not do that.

If you're unhappy in how the iPad is constructed (and you seem to be given the high exchange rate), then perhaps a different tablet may be better suited for you - at the very least you'll have peace of mind. Given Apple's stratospheric sales numbers and how most people are loving their iPads, I'd say apple is not looking to change how they manufacture the iPad. Why embrace a solution to a problem that is not that prevalent

I'm content with my iPad and as stated, no one in my family is upset over any issues with theirs.

8. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Is there dust under the screen of my ipads? I have no idea. If there is, it doesn't show up under normal use. Truth be told, with all the dust and smudges on the outside of the screen I doubt seriously if I could see dust under the screen even if i went looking for it.

It really is a non-issue for normal users.

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

Why stop there?

Did you grab a tape measure too, and measure that the home button is perfectly concave ?

Did you grab a leveler, and make sure the screen is perfectly level at all side?

For the volume buttons, did you measure that the volume up and down button stick up evenly on all sides and don't vary?

Did you take a high res image of the coloring, and verify that the coloring matches all over?

Did you measure that all the edges follow the same curvature?

Did you count all the speaker grills and make sure they match? Did you measure them all, and make sure none vary? What about the sound output, is it evenly adjusted, and are you sure each speaker grill outputs at the same decibel level at the same volume?

What about the screen? Did you take your (back lit) ipad in a dark room and shine a light directly at it, and view it from a specific angle to see if dust is there?

10. bandrews macrumors 6502a

One problem is the hollow sound you get when you tap the Air and the Mini. If LCD and glass were one, it would not only seem more solid but it would be thinner and viewing angles would be further improved. Macs have it, iPhones have it. Only a matter of time before iPads do too.....

11. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

I don't share your sarcasm nor agree with you. Dust is and remains dust. The new iPhones don't have it under the glass digitizer anymore and iPads also shouldn't.

I believe Apple is about to adopt the same concept for their tablets that will be better in all respects (including, indeed, the viewing angles): it is simply inevitable.

12. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I agree. Every iPad I've purchased (well over a dozen over the years) has had dust under the glass and in about 60% of those it was visible under normal viewing conditions.

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

That's a different argument. Of COURSE Apple will improve the construction of the iPad - no one is denying that.

However - having to go into a dark room and shine light directly into a back light screen just to search for flaws, is, kind of...unreasonable.